The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help please. Lightning my 3 month old Full Blood boer buckling is limping. Monday morning he was fine. I put him & Thunderbolt in their standing creep feeder, they were eating. I left to go feed the other 2 groups of goats . About 15 minutes later I return to let the boys out to graze. Lightning was laying down in front of the gate. I opened it and he stumbled around to get up. He will put his toe down, or hop, but will not put full weight on his left hind leg. I have put ice in it. Ive given him 1/2 aspirin and 6cc Red Cell in 6cc water drench. He lays down alot. Ive palpated the entire leg, stretched the leg behind him, and moved the ankle as a norm walk movement. He only moved when I bent the leg and moved it up towards his stomach.
Any ideas, suggestions, answers, i would appreciate all of them. Here are some pictures.
20200617_180219.jpg
20200617_180421.jpg
20200617_180439.jpg

No swelling, no gritty feel..nothing in between toes or in hoof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,166 Posts
Awww poor little man :(
He might have twisted funny getting his foot unstuck from the feeder and twisted his hip. It looks like he's favoring it from the hip down.

I'd put him in a small separate pen with food and water in nose reach, so he can baby it without herdmates bumping or hassling him. I'd also give him some Banamine for the pain. (He is weaned right?) if there's no improvement by Thursday I'd get the vet involved but he needs to rest it no matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Poor guy. If it’s broken hopefully it’s able to be splinted. I had a doeling break her leg (hind leg, right above the ankle) and she healed up after a month of splinting with no limp and no bump. Babies heal quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,012 Posts
I hope between you and the vet you get it figured out and healed quickly! Best wishes to Lightning!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an appointment Friday at 130.at Okla. State Univ. My vet was swamped and could not work him in. So now..Im just working on keeping him hydrated and eating. Thanks for all your help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok went to OSU. I am very heartbroken. I am looking for a 2nd opinion. No blood test was taken. Only xrays and physical exam. Here are the results. Please tell me your opinion. Thankyou
20200619_205239.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,166 Posts
Oh no! Oh I'm so so sorry! I'm heartbroken for you.
It's going to be a tough call and in the long run his quality of life is also a consideration. I'm sure no matter you'll do what's right for you and lightning.
If you're going with option two, I'd also ask the Dr if an aggressive joint ill treatment like Baytril would be appropriate after the septic stage. (Just a thought) I don't get why no blood test though!
I'm praying that the flush will work if you decide to go with it!
Hugs!!!!!
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
14,774 Posts
I'm so sorry, I am just seeing this and am very sad for his prognosis, but wonder why they didn't do a blood test? I would not give up and I would definitely treat him. I don't know which meds would be better, but hopefully if Nuflor isn't the one to go with or Goofygoat's suggestion, then someone can give you a good suggestion. Praying he gets better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
I’m so sorry for the diagnosis. It is surprising they didn’t check a CBC to see what his white count is. A joint aspiration would provide the best information for septic arthritis. For humans, septic arthritis is usually about 6 weeks IV antibiotic therapy, sometimes longer. You also have to worry about the infection seeding elsewhere if the bacteria gets into the bloodstream.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top