Limping on left hind leg

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Moers kiko boars, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I need help please. Lightning my 3 month old Full Blood boer buckling is limping. Monday morning he was fine. I put him & Thunderbolt in their standing creep feeder, they were eating. I left to go feed the other 2 groups of goats . About 15 minutes later I return to let the boys out to graze. Lightning was laying down in front of the gate. I opened it and he stumbled around to get up. He will put his toe down, or hop, but will not put full weight on his left hind leg. I have put ice in it. Ive given him 1/2 aspirin and 6cc Red Cell in 6cc water drench. He lays down alot. Ive palpated the entire leg, stretched the leg behind him, and moved the ankle as a norm walk movement. He only moved when I bent the leg and moved it up towards his stomach.
    Any ideas, suggestions, answers, i would appreciate all of them. Here are some pictures. 20200617_180219.jpg 20200617_180421.jpg 20200617_180439.jpg
    No swelling, no gritty feel..nothing in between toes or in hoof.

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    No pain when palpating?

Nothing wrong with the hoof?

Maybe meningeal worm...

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Call me crazy but it looks broken. It could be a fracture but the only way to say for sure is to get an x-ray done
    InkedDelet_LI.jpg

4. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou. It sounds like vet time tommorrow

GoofyGoat likes this.
  5. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Awww poor little man :(
    He might have twisted funny getting his foot unstuck from the feeder and twisted his hip. It looks like he's favoring it from the hip down.

I'd put him in a small separate pen with food and water in nose reach, so he can baby it without herdmates bumping or hassling him. I'd also give him some Banamine for the pain. (He is weaned right?) if there's no improvement by Thursday I'd get the vet involved but he needs to rest it no matter.

6. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thanks..hes is weaning this week.

7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Poor guy. If it’s broken hopefully it’s able to be splinted. I had a doeling break her leg (hind leg, right above the ankle) and she healed up after a month of splinting with no limp and no bump. Babies heal quickly.

8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I hope between you and the vet you get it figured out and healed quickly! Best wishes to Lightning!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have an appointment Friday at 130.at Okla. State Univ. My vet was swamped and could not work him in. So now..Im just working on keeping him hydrated and eating. Thanks for all your help

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good luck, hope it isn't serious.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  12. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou! Im very concerned. Its just not making sence to me
    So Im sure OSU will tell me!

13. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    What did OSU find? How's sweet lightning doing?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  14. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ok went to OSU. I am very heartbroken. I am looking for a 2nd opinion. No blood test was taken. Only xrays and physical exam. Here are the results. Please tell me your opinion. Thankyou 20200619_205239.jpg

15. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh no! Oh I'm so so sorry! I'm heartbroken for you.
    It's going to be a tough call and in the long run his quality of life is also a consideration. I'm sure no matter you'll do what's right for you and lightning.
    If you're going with option two, I'd also ask the Dr if an aggressive joint ill treatment like Baytril would be appropriate after the septic stage. (Just a thought) I don't get why no blood test though!
    I'm praying that the flush will work if you decide to go with it!
    Hugs!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  16. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry, I am just seeing this and am very sad for his prognosis, but wonder why they didn't do a blood test? I would not give up and I would definitely treat him. I don't know which meds would be better, but hopefully if Nuflor isn't the one to go with or Goofygoat's suggestion, then someone can give you a good suggestion. Praying he gets better!

17. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
  18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm so sorry. Tough decisions ahead.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  19. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

:hug:Thinking of you and Lightening.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  20. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’m so sorry for the diagnosis. It is surprising they didn’t check a CBC to see what his white count is. A joint aspiration would provide the best information for septic arthritis. For humans, septic arthritis is usually about 6 weeks IV antibiotic therapy, sometimes longer. You also have to worry about the infection seeding elsewhere if the bacteria gets into the bloodstream.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.