Limping on left hind leg

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Moers kiko boars, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou. I find it hard to accept without a blood test. Only physical palpation and an xray I had to beg for. Im not giving up. But I will be treating him the best I can. Please pray for him. Thankyou

MadHouse, NDinKY and GoofyGoat like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    A blood test might not tell you too much. They can look for elevated white blood cells (seen in infection), elevated inflammatory markers (which he would likely have if infection or if injury), and they could look for bacteria in the blood (bacteremia). If he were bacteremic he would likely be much sicker, with fever. Septic joint really is best diagnosed with fluid from the joint.

Definitely get a second opinion, but if you can afford the joint aspiration I would get it.

4. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    This was from an injury 3 days ago. No other sighns of trama. No fever/ no swelling. Im not saying its accurate/ im praying their is a way.to treat and keep.him alive & sound for more than 10 days. They said with knee aspriration his chance of walking & survival went from 10% to 30%. And they wanted $1500.00. And under full anesthesia. Which is less than 25% recovery. Im at a total loss of this doesnt make sense to my brain.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    With that price tag I don’t blame you for not doing the joint aspiration. Especially with those odds of recovery not being favorable. I hope they’re wrong and it’s just strained. Keeping you guys in my thoughts and hope you’re able to get a second opinion.

6. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou. I talked to the owner of the sire&.previous.owner of the dam. Needless to say.he was upset with the report. He couldnt believe them either. He suggested continue with the antibiotics and add wrap the leg for support. Add gatorade drench with 1/2 advil. Next gatorade drench with.nutri drench. Leave leg wrapped form3 to 4 days. Hes only had goats for 20+;years/ several ennoblements and sires of the years. He cant understand why they thought he would die in 10 days.

7. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I agree. I’d treat it like a broken bone and brace it for a few weeks. No need to give up yet!

8. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou. Im tired of crying and I am determined to help him get over this!

CountyLineAcres, NDinKY and MadHouse like this.
  9. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Heres my happy boy helping his big brother. My Wonderful Thunderbolt 20200610_192950.jpg 20200617_180647.jpg

Canadian Goat Mom and MadHouse like this.
  10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Nice kid, hope he mends.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  11. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou. Thats a compliment from a lady I really respect and admire. Thank you

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Ok :update:...Its been a Rollar Coaster ride ! I have kept Lightning on his Antibiotic regiment. Plus keeping his left leg wrapped, Ive been giving him 1/2 advil, gatorade, castor oil, Nutri Drench. In a drench 2xs daily.
    I went to my Vet for a 2nd opinion ! My vet was impressed with his mobility and general health after reading the grim diagnosis of the 1st vet. Lightning walked lightly on his left hind leg. The vet trimmed his feet, worked hard to find the tenderness in his knee..No swelling, No Fever, and doing well! I am continueing the antibiotics and drencehs for another week. We will go back to.my vet and see how we are progressing. Tonight..I got so excited..he stood at his creep feeder on both feet in proper position...and he is walking useing his left hind leg lightly. Yay! :goatkiss: And its been 10 days..and he is still ALIVE! 20200624_095008.jpg

14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

That just makes me so happy! I am smiling a huge smile! (shy)
    I keep thinking about Lightning and sending healing vibes!
    Yaaaayyy!
    Sooo glad you went to another vet!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou..both. means the world!

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  17. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    That’s great news! Hope he keeps on this path and fully recovers! Good work!

18. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou so much. He was lightly walking on the foot today. Im so happy to see this. We are still doing antibiotics. Ill make an appointment with the vet Friday. See about another week of meds? With or wothout wraps? Any suggestions I would Greatly appreciate!

Canadian Goat Mom and MadHouse like this.
  19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How does the leg look when he is limping on it?
    Is it moving strangely or does it move normally despite.
    If it is looking OK, I wouldn't wrap it, just monitor it and allow him to use it.
    He won't over do it, if he feels some pain. But keep him calm.

The antibiotics, not sure about that.
    How long has he been on it?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.