The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11wk old fainting doe started limping pretty bad on her right front leg yesterday evening..I checked her & cant feel anything broken or out of place & she doesn't mind me manipulating it but when I got to her hoof, she kept pulling away (which she never does). I got a good enough look to comfortably assume she doesn't have a thorn or anything in there but cant figure out what could be wrong or how to help???

MORE IF INTERESTED: She was fine yesterday morning/early afternoon. I put her to bed early hoping rest would help but she wont even put weight on it today. I've called the only goat vet I can find in the area but they haven't returned my message so I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to ease her discomfort (meds/wraps/ANYTHING? considering I dont know what the problem is) in the meantime as it's looking like tomm will be the earliest I can get her seen. I feel bad :(

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Is there a smell coming from the hoof? My doe has twisted her ankle pretty badly a few times. She forgot she was an old girl and jumped from the high table, sigh. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, no, no bad smell from the hoof & although I'm very new to goats, her hooves all look normal (I cheat a bit...I'm not super comfortable trimming so I just take slivers off every week rather than let them grow out & try to hack them..anyhow, point being her hooves are not over-grown at all). She still has an excellent appetite, etc. I suppose it's entirely possible she twisted something although a bit hard to believe on her b/c she's w/o question the laziest, most laid-back goat ever..she rarely even plays. BUT, it is possible, sometimes my other little doeling bullies her into running around. There isn't much I can do for a sprain, I assume...maybe lock her up again w/her hay & water or wrap it?
I also read about mud sores but, as wet as it's been, their yard is not muddy...it's grassy w/good drainage so I cant imagine THAT could be the problem :-/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts