Linear Appraisal, A total goat addict, and crazy lady...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fruittartcaprines, Mar 12, 2010.

1. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I went to visit a friend of mine today who breeds very nice Nubians and some other nice breeds. Really I went to learn to disbud (she's a vet, and a really good goat person), but I thought...hey, I'll take a look at the kids too...because you know, adding to the herd now means they'll be mature by the time I want to have more of them...and...

Yea, so, unbeknownst to hubby, I put money down on two new lovely does. They aren't coming home yet until weaned, so I have a little time to discuss...er..coerce him into it.

I know very little about goat showing and linear appraisal...so maybe someone could interpret?

Doe #1 Mama:
    GrandSire: SG Kastdemur’s Final Justice ++*B LA 90 EEE
    (littermate to 1999 National Champion)
    Sire: Lakeshore-Farms Wild at Heart LA 89 VVE
    GrandDam: SGCH Lakeshore Farms Ace of Hearts LA 91 EEEE
    (2003 National Best Udder)

GrandSire: Dancers-Ridge GF D’Artagnan
    Dam: GCH Kori-Brook DRD Ria de Ranza 3*M LA 88 EVVV
    GrandDam: SGCH Kori-Brook WCC Esperanza 2*M LA 88 EVV

Doe #2 Mama:
    GrandSire: Willow-Run Gideon +*B
    Sire: Kori-Brook WRG Ransom *B LA 89
    GrandDam: GCH Kori-Brook DRSV Reese 4*M LA 92 EEEE

GrandSire: SGCH Kori-Brook Sir Isaac Newton LA 90
    Dam: SG Kori-Brook Isaac Jolie 1*M LA 87
    GrandDam: Kori-Brook Winston Jetta

They both have the same Father:

GrandSire: GCH Round-About Smooth Vintage ++*B LA 83 +VV
    Sire: SGCH Dancers-Ridge Southern Vintage *B LA 89
    GrandDam: SGCH Dancers-Ridge Southern Belle 1*M LA 90 EVEE

GrandSire: GCH Round-About Smooth Vintage ++*B LA 83 +VV
    Dam: SGCH Kori-Brook Un-Break Mi Corazon 1*M LA 92 EEEE
    (2006 National Champion & Reserve Best Udder)
    GrandDam: Kori-Brook Solamente Amor

So...can someone help me understand what these words mean? What's the B stand for?

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Only bucks have those, that I know. I think that it means that the sire's dam has a milking star. But maybe I am wrong. I too am learning.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the higher the LA score the better and I do believe that a 90 or 91 is Excellent and the Letters stand for the different areas of the goat accessed and E = excellent so anyone with all "E's" is a superb animal

4. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    yes, excellent starts at a 90. The B is only on sires, and the characters after them stand for progeny and parents performance, here is a good link for the terminology.

http://www.caldairygoats.com/readperfped.htm

it can get confusing when you're new to dairy goats, but just know the more stuff they have by their name the better lol. :leap:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  6. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Awesome guys! Thanks so much. I'm used to looking at horse grading scores etc. but goats are pretty new to me. I'm so excited about adding these girls to my herd :) They won't be coming until May, because though they are bottle babies, I'm not quite ready for that yet (I'd be a paranoid mess) and I need to add more stall space, but ooh, once they get here I'll be sure to post pictures!

Conversation with the husband was funny last night:

(me): I was so surprised how little space the goats require. I mean, keep in mind, I'm used to horses, who require SO much space.
    (dh): Yea, they are rather space efficient
    (me): I can see expanding the pasture up here, I am also surprised at which hay they are picking [they seem to be snubbing my really super-nice hay and preferring the grassier stuff that the horses waste more of]
    (dh): Yea, they are efficient that way too
    (me): So, you know [insert entire conversation about my goat-breeder friend and the kids]
    (dh): You know you're going to have to quit your job don't you? [chuckling] I guess that would be the point

:)

Off to learn about linear appraisal - thanks for the links guys!

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sounds ..like he's in!