The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my second linear appraisal and was looking for help on evaluating young stock scores. I need to decide between 2 doelings and thought that the appraisals would help, but I'm still torn. The doeling I was leaning toward only scored fair in rump. Her thurls are low. She is only 10 weeks old. Can this trait change, or is this something that she will mature with. She scored fairly well in all other categories with a +VV overall good plus.

My second doeling is also only 10 weeks old. I love her mama, who appraised at +EVV 88. She has the best udder in my herd. This baby is a triplet and a little immature, but scored an A in rump with a +V+ good plus overall. Her mother has a V in rump.

I guess what I'm asking is how heavily should I weigh these scores. I'm not happy with either of the rump scores as function follows structure and I want to make sure that we have the structure needed for nice udders to follow.

Any advice, experience, would be greatly appreciated

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Most people don't put a lot of credit in the young stock appraisals, ADGA doesn't even post them to the goats records. At 10 weeks, I would give them a little longer to mature, take them to a few shows if you have any coming up and see how they do. Even getting appraised it is still just a snap shot in time, just how the goats looked that day and it is still someones opinion of the goats, even though they have a scorecard to follow each appraiser has their own opinion/view/vision (whatever you want to call it lol) of what the "perfect" dairy goat should look like.

I don't really see the rumps changing much with age, but I would be looking into how the kid was standing/walking during the appraisal and what she looks like when she is loose. If the rumps are still poor when they are loose and moving naturally, I would consider selling them if you are wanting to really improve the conformation in your herd. I would still try to hold on to them until they are a little older to see if anything changes.

If you could post some pictures of the kids, we might be able to help you make a choice between the two, or at least give you some more opinions of your kids ;)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I don't put much into a LA at that young, kids can drastically change as they age, seen it over and over again.

I'd be happy to judge your kids to help you form some thoughts on the matter, but like I said, don't put much stock into an LA when they are that young.
If it were me, I'd wait a bit longer to see how they mature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts