Linear Appraisal...yes/no?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jan 12, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

My third topic this morning...hehe sorry, it's been a caffeine kind of morning! :coffee:

So, for those of you who participate or have participated in Linear Appraisal through ADGA or AGS Classifer (is that what the program is called?), do you enjoy the process? Why do/don't you participate?

I want to participate this year but my deadline is closing in and I need to figure out if it is worth while. I will need to travel. I want to take my buck, my 3 seniors, and possibly my 2 juniors. My 3 seniors will be a few months fresh, my seniors will be just barely bred. I know the juniors and buck are voluntary, but I'd like to know how they rate.

A good goatie friend of mine told me it has been recommended to her not to both unless she has more senior does to rate and that everyone is as close to kidding as possible as the udders are better. Any input? Would you go with just 3 seniors, 1 buck, and 2 juniors?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I take it someone is hosting the LA?

I would do it --- but make srue your SR does are in milk when you go. IF they arent you wont get as good or accurate scoring for them.

3. pennylullabelle

I was considering going to one of the LA stops in CA near me. I would host one in Reno, but there aren't enough goat breeders interested to qualify for a stop.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hey if you can get in on one thats awesome.

I might suggest we do this in NJ one year for all our farms - will need to suggest that at a club meeting :chin: , thanks for the suggestion :thumb:

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Could I get in on that? If it's out of state, does it matter? :chin:

6. pennylullabelle

Sterling - if you can travel there, you can do your appraisal. But there's only so many animals they can do per stop so you need to apply early.

I'm not even sure if I can get into the CA stops. I need to get my application in!!

Would you both having bucks or juniors appraised?

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'm obviously not a professional, but I'd have the bucks appraised. Your whole herd is only as good as your herdsire, imo. Right? :?

8. pennylullabelle

I think your herd sire is 50% of your herd...but only to the does he is bred or the does you have out of him. Just the same I've got a super nice buck and would love to see how he does.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We're doing Linear Appraisal this year. Just sent my application in. I was able to get in on another farm who is having them stop. All of our does in milk (you are required to do that), maybe our buck(s), and possibly a couple juniors. I plan more to show the juniors rather than have them LA'd but maybe do both, depends. Their scores will not be as accurate, so I'd rather just put the $ towards showing and get them appraised after freshening.

Sounds like a wonderful learning experience and that's why we're doing it.

If your application isn't in by March 1st, the price goes up. I do believe they can get a lot of animals done, so numbers doesn't matter as much, that's what I was told anyways by the gal who has done it for a while now.

You need to find a farm first before sending in your application, just in case you didn't know that. . .

10. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Sometimes with linear appraisal, you can get completely wack scores. I know people who don't have the best animals, but broke 90, (which is a GREAT score to beat) and others who have absolutely beautiful animals who barely make an 82. It depends on your appraiser, but it is great to do if you get a good one! If you do get funky scores, always trust in your personal opinion...remember, you have to be the one to look at them everyday, so you'd better like them!! :)