The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Nubian battling anemia after a pretty heavy case of worms. I have her on red cell an I've been told to get her on b complex or b12. I'm pretty sure farm stores carry this but I'm just curious if I can use the people version. I know some give pepto and vitamin c chewables and milk of magnesia and the like for other things so I was wondering about this. I'll try to attach a pic of what I'm asking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Yes she needs injectable...you need to get B 12 from your vet or if you can find B complex plus, which has enough 12 in it...this is daily until you see improvement in eye color
also try mixing 50/50 acv and water the dose about 20 cc daily...this should help her recover faster as well..
High protien feeds, alfalfa and green leaves all aid in her rebuilding her red blood cells..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am giving her alfalfa, 16% protein grain, and a half cup acv daily along with the red cell (the acv is in a half recipe of the homemade electrolytes to which I add the red). She usually guzzles that mixture. I am not seeing improvement like I would like to. About how long of a process is the blood rebuilding? Is each goat just their own special case? What is a realistic time frame to expect to see improvement?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Anemia takes a while to recover from...Sounds like you are doing all the right things to help her...be patient it will happen...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts