liquid in ear?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nigie Girl, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    in my previous post entitled goat psychiatry I talked about how my goats were traumatized after a visit from a bear that killed one of my does. After the event I noticed that another one of my does was itching and shaking her head a lot and when I "squished" the base of her ear, I heard a sound like there was liquid inside. and when she shakes her head you can kind of hear liquid "sloshing around" (but not extremely loud and it doesn't sound like a huge amount of liquid).
    Does anyone have any ideas to what this might be or what i can do to help her? i only recently noticed this after the bear accident and as far as I know she's only had it for 3 days. other info (that may be of relevance): she is 5 yrs old, nigerian dwarf, temperature is 101.4
    also my brother noticed that she had a tiny scratch under her eye but it doesn't look infected and it's hardly noticeable. my mom thinks that the bear could have lashed out at her and maybe hit her eye (because there was a broken blood vessel in it) and scratched her face. at first i thought the broken blood vessel was because she was bloodshot because she hadn't gotten that much sleep the night after the accident (and my other doe's eyes were red too).
    she's acting perfectly normal just itching her ears a lot.
    any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She could have hit her head on a wall and caused a hematoma of sorts, is her ear hurting her or does the cartilage at the base feel "broke"?

As long as she is doing fine just keep an eye on it, if it seems to get worse I would investigate the cause but make sure you have help as you don't want to stress her further...shine a light into it and use a gauze pad on the inside to see if you can get anything out of her ear, just be careful as most goats don't like their ears "messed with" and she'll want to shake her head, so don't use anything hard or sharp inside her ear. :wink:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmmm that one I am not familiar with. If it feels like water in the ear can you put a tissue in the ear to see if it gets wet???

4. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    this morning I put a paper towel around my finger into her ear and i felt almost a "crusty" surface at the base of her ear. I could tell it was itching her as she had her head cocked to one side and one of her back legs was pawing the milking stand.
    I don't hear water so much anymore when I "squish" the base but she still is equally itchy. do you think i should try oti-clens like the dog ear cleansing solution?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I have gone totally blank on the stuff I had to put in my dogs ear to dry up the water like fluid. But you could put a cotton ball in it and try to push it down in. It will NOT get stuck, she will be able to shake her head and get it out but at least the fluid will be able to get soaked up. I want to say it was alcohol that I put in the ear because it will help dry up the fluid, but I am not 100% sure.

Do you have Nutra Drench that you can give her for her stress? Good luck and I am so sorry about you loss.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try vetRx in her ear just in case of mites

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It really does sound like ear mites to me to............

8. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    yes I do have nutri-drench that I have been giving to her.
    the only thing about the ear mites is that isn't their coat usually affected too? she has a gorgeous coat and healthy skin. i am going to put a little baby oil on the end of a cotton ball and try that out. What are signs of ear mites?

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    you will know. If you use a Q Tip and very carefully put it in her ear, and it will come out black and nasty. If you get that clean it the best that you can.

Ok, I did read on another forum that it was peroxide that they used in the ear fro a ear infection. Put some in it and it will bubble and smell really nasty if it is a infection and it will clean it out also.

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    OK, my hubby is a swimmer, he said the alcohol solution is 50/50 rubbing alcohol and white vinegar. The vinegar is a bacterialcidal. He uses this to dry out his ears after swimming, as he's prone to ear infection. Been using it since college, so it's safe and effective. '

Hope your girls recover from their terrible trama, that must have been awful for them!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not always will they have a poor coat if the mites are "new to the area"

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If ear mites in goats are anything like those in a cat..it's not always the coat that is affected, as you said Stacey...my year old kitten had those crusties in his ears and yep it sounded "liquidy" but his hair around his ears was not affected at all...do the vet rx after you have cleaned them, as sweetgoats said it will be really dark and crusty looking, get as much as you can then put the med into them...she is not going to be happy with you, but it is better to catch it now than to wait and have it progress. :wink:

13. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    i cleaned part of her ears out with q-tips and paper towels and i was shining a flashlight in them and I noticed that it wasn't black or gross but she had ear wax in some crevices. the wax was "crystal-like". is this normal? my vet just recommended that i clean them out with gauze. but my goat still is itching.

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My munchies sometimes get liquid like in their ears. I've never tried it but mullein and garlic infused olive oil is supposed to help.

I've noticed since we have found a good wormer that the liquid sounding ears has gone away, I'm wondering if maybe it had to do with a weakened immune system but I can't say for sure.

15. Nigie Girl

Nigie Girl New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    CT
    my mom was helping me clean out her ears. I held her and my mom gently used toothpicks to "pick" out the waxy secretions in her ear...which she had a LOT of. They were not black but like a clear/yellow color. Then I put four drops of Vet Rx in her ears and my other goat's ears (just in case if it is ear mites they won't spread). the other goat was not happy :roll:
    on the vet rx directions, it says to continue putting the drops in for three days. I will be at a fair this coming monday so hopefully it will be cleared up by then. if not i'm going to try the alcohol/vinegar ear wash that Di recommended.
    I will let everyone know what happens and thanks everybody for your input! :)