Listeria :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Di, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    No sooner did I announce I was back when suddenly Pippi got sick, real sick. The Vet thought it was probably listeria...and after reading the symptoms I agreed. She was on an aggressive course of antibiotics, without success...I lost her this morning. :tears:

So, now what? Everyone else seems to be OK, so far. How communicable is this? I haven't the least clue how she contracted it. :help: What should I do now?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    listeria is from moldy hay or grain -- no its not communicable to my knowledge

So sorry you lost her :hug: :tears:

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thanks Stacey, I can't imagine how she got it, my hay is beautiful, green leafy alfalfa mix. I did get some new grain...but it seems fine...oh gosh...I guess I'll have to throw that away just in case!

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry you lost her :hug:

Are you sure its listeria? Listeria is a very nasty organism and it is hard to get rid of, but symptoms of listeriosis are very similar to goat polio, which is caused by excessive thiamin deficiency in the rumen.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt throw out your grain if the others are ok. I would though look into the symptoms of Polio like Sarah said because that is a good possibility and hence why the antibiotics didnt do a thing.

6. Tarheel Acres

Tarheel Acres New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is always tough to lose one. Hopefully it will be an isolated incident and not effect anyone else in your herd.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry ..for your loss... :hug: ..I will pray... your other goats... will be OK..... :hug: :pray:

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thanks everyone, it's so hard to loose a doe as sweet as Pippi. So far everyone else looks good. I did have one case of Polio when I got my first goats. So, I'm not sure if it was that or not. :scratch: :tears: It's raining again and I had a problem with cocci this year...one reason I was away from TGS for awhile...just so busy. This has not been an easy summer. I have to remember "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger". That shall be my "montra" for the future. :sigh:

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    even if it makes you stronger it still hurts :sigh: :hug:

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry Di.... :hug:

It could have been coccidia and not listeria...with all the rain, even adults can sucumb to this if they have an overload and they will go downhill very fast with no symptoms at all...Crissa lost a doe to this not long ago.