Listeria

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 51483, Jan 23, 2021.

1. 51483

51483 New Member

Jan 23, 2021
    I am new to this site and I need help. Yesterday, I lost a two year old bred Nigerian doe to Listeria. I have raised goats for over twenty years and never had this happen. What do I need to do besides clean and disinfect? I have four more pregnant does that I am concern about and I do not want to lose them,too. I raise goats for our dairy needs and this scares me. Thanks for any advice you can give.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can you share some of the symptoms you experienced? Listeriosis has two different forms and contagion levels.

happybleats and MadHouse like this.
  4. Carl47

Carl47 Member

Jan 29, 2018
    When I lost one with listeriosis last year I cleaned out the barn and washed it down with bleach and then limed and replaced with new straw I also bleached all the water buckets just Incase. It's a horrible way for one to go out So sad

MadHouse likes this.
  5. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Hi welcome to the group. So sorry for your recent loss.

It wouldn't hurt to check the feed supply and all the hay for signs of dampness and/or mold. If you find or smell any mold it would be best to throw out all of whatever food source it's located at. Clean and disinfect whatever container/storage area where the mold was found.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Im so sorry for your loss. Listeria is a horrible disease.
    I agree, cleaning and disinfecting is important, and helps. Listeria bacteria lives in the soil, water, rotting and molding foods and in the goats own feces. Makes it sound hopeless, I know, but making sure feed, hay, minerals, blocks, feeders, and such are all mold free is important. Raking up hay from under feeders and using pine shaving or clean straw as bedding and not hay, which is more prone to moisture and mold.
    I also believe gut health is important to help the goat fight the bacteria if it enters. A compromised goat is more susceptible to illness. Listeriosis is so much harder for them to recover from than Polio. Again, Im very sorry for your loss. Here is a link to read a bit more.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/generalized-conditions/listeriosis/overview-of-listeriosis

MadHouse and NigerianNewbie like this.
  7. 51483

51483 New Member

Jan 23, 2021
    Her symptoms were circling around my legs, her head was pulled sideways, eyes looked terrible and believe she was blind, she was disoriented and she was shaking. Later she laid down and her head wobbled when she tried raising it.

8. 51483

51483 New Member

Jan 23, 2021
    Did all of that. I bleached everything in sight.

Carl47, MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Have the mice gotten into your grain or hay? (in large amounts) Their urine and feces can contaminate your feed, as can cat urine (or any other critter). So sorry you lost her.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Lil Goats, just to let you know you are starting new threads instead of replying to this one. I think you meant to reply to this one.