The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if that's how you even spell it but....I have never heard of it and would like opinions and info on it. I have put a deposit on a baby with a breeder and suppose to pick it up next month. The breeder has a doe that had listeriosis a couple years ago and asked if I would be interested in giving her a great home for free. She said she sometimes gets food stuck in her cheek and her head tilts to the side but is a very sweet goat. I haven't gave her an answer yet. Would like to know your opinions on it first

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am a softie for special needs animals. But if it is something that is contagious or can harm my other goats I definitely will tell her no .

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
here is a link to read more about listeriosis and a quote
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

Because some goats are carriers who never display any symptoms, it is possible to buy infected animals and introduce this disease into a previously uninfected herd.
this is of course one source..but consider as well her medical needs now or in the future, is she a hard keeper? what unseen problems does she have due to the Listeriosis? Just a thought :D

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I dont think there is enough info to claim it one way or the other..just from that one quote would make me hesitant.. If it were me, I wouldnt chance it..Listeriosis is nothing I want to deal with...its so sad what it does to Goats and so many just can not make it though the illness..its heart breaking to watch...

a quote with highlighted info to help you decide..Maybe someone who knows more about this illness will pop on but as I read it so far ( and I have been wrong before) I just dont think its worth the chance.. and I hate that because sheis beautful and I bet you could provide a wonderfu home for her..do some research..before you decide..best wishes..

Listeriosis is a brain-stem disease caused by the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes, which is found in soil, water, plant litter, silage, and even in the goat's digestive tract. The bacterium generally enters the goat's body through the mouth and multiplies rapidly in cold temperatures. There are two forms of Listeriosis: one form results in abortions, while the other causes encephalitis. Both types are seldom seen at the same time in the same herd.
The organism can be shed in the milk of both carrier and sick goats.
Listeriosis is potentially zoonotic (able to be transmitted to humans.) Like Goat Polio, Listeriosis is most often seen in intensive management situations. Unlike Goat Polio, Listeriosis is more common in adult animals than in kids. Because some goats are carriers who never display any symptoms, it is possible to buy infected animals and introduce this disease into a previously uninfected herd.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Still reading to try to find an answer...nothing concrete yet..

http://www.celticknotlm.com/Listeriosis.htm

Is it contagious? Some literature says yes, some no. I did not isolate and feel the CNS and septicemic forms are not contagious. The abortion form IS contagious. Any aborted fetuses must be handled and disposed of carefully as you can get listeriosis from them. Do not use raw milk from any doe diagnosed with listeriosis. Don't even feed it to your dogs and cats. It is safe for consumption after it's been pasteurizes at 165F.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think I want to take a chance with her.and I don't know if it will progress to worse symptoms. It would be heart breaking to me if it does.and I have too much invested in my goats and I wouldn't forgive myself if I brought her home and they got sick. I told her that I couldn't take her.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
I agree..it would be heart breaking...and risky...I wish we knew more about listeriosis..like with so many illnesses there is so much we still dont know..
best wishes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts