The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goat with listeria. It started Saturday and thought it was maybe pneumonia by 6:30 Sunday evening was in over my head so called vet. I had never heard of listeria before. Researched on here a bit too that night. She was here 9 pm on Sunday night started right away withBiomycin7cc, 9cc penicillins I had given her 3cc that day. A B injection 10cc and 1.5 cc of banimine. Her eye doesn’t blink anymore as the paralysis is in her face on the left side. I’m using an eye cream to keep out infection and lubricate. Yesterday was great she ate at dinner and I was feeling positive but this morning we are back to be even stiffer but the vet said could be because of the shots. And she is drooling and wouldn’t eat all over again. I was told mortality rate is high and usually in the first 48hours so I was thinking we were out of the woods yesterday, but I guess not. I’ve had her for 9 years with no incidence of any sickness. I don’t want to lose her and I’m at wits end. Can anyone give me more advice on what to do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gave her shots at 11:30 won’t eat or drink. Syringing her with water but worried about her choking. Still drooling a lot any help at all would be apppreciated. Another site said colloidal silver but no specifics.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you giving antibiotics and B every 6 hours around the clock? Must be treated aggressively.
The vet only has me giving her 9cc of penicillins every 24 hours maybe that's why she's so bad in the morning. It isn't till afternoon that she perks up a bit around four I give her the shots every day at 12:30

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vet only has me giving her 9cc of penicillins every 24 hours maybe that's why she's so bad in the morning. It isn't till afternoon that she perks up a bit around four I give her the shots every day at 12:30
She also gets biomycin every 48 hours

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I'm not sure why your veterinarian ruled out Polio over Listeriosis but I highly recommend treating for both because it is impossible to determine which.

She should be getting B-Complex at 6cc per 100lbs AND Penicillin at 10cc per 100lbs every 6 hours around the clock. In addition, the Banamine given 1cc per 100 lbs ONCE per day for three days. All injected subcutaneously.

She certainly need hydration and nutrition, you are going to have to tube her. I know it sounds hideously scary but there are a lot of YouTube videos to help you. You just can't syringe enough liquid in to keep her hydrated.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
She needs thiamine.
Be certain the B-Complex is the High in Thiamine kind. The level of thiamine, also called B-1, has to say 100.

Also, please keep her warm. She'll have trouble regulating her temp. I don't know why, but she will.

Give lots of thiamine, very regularly. This can't be considered a one and done solution.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She needs thiamine.
Be certain the B-Complex is the High in Thiamine kind. The level of thiamine, also called B-1, has to say 100.

Also, please keep her warm. She'll have trouble regulating her temp. I don't know why, but she will.

Give lots of thiamine, very regularly. This can't be considered a one and done solution.
She was running a temp the day I called the vet Sunday it was 106.9 and I kept her warm in the barn with a winter blanket on. The vet told me to remove the blanket but she got all her shots that night. The next day Monday her temp started to come down to 104.6 and yesterday she was back to normal at 102.4 today was still 102.1 all day didn't fluctuate much. She has a stall in the barn and it's shut up at night so it's pretty warm. That way I'm sure she's fine

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure why your veterinarian ruled out Polio over Listeriosis but I highly recommend treating for both because it is impossible to determine which.

She should be getting B-Complex at 6cc per 100lbs AND Penicillin at 10cc per 100lbs every 6 hours around the clock. In addition, the Banamine given 1cc per 100 lbs ONCE per day for three days. All injected subcutaneously.

She certainly need hydration and nutrition, you are going to have to tube her. I know it sounds hideously scary but there are a lot of YouTube videos to help you. You just can't syringe enough liquid in to keep her hydrated.
Ok so I will up the penicillin and the b shots. Just wanted to say too as usual she was ok at 4pm again. Ate oatmeal and soaked alfalfa pellets and a handful of grain. Then proceeded to make the rounds to the other dish to get more so I gave her more in hers. After eating she went and was eating hay too, a lot today. But if I don't up the penicillin I'm sure it will be drooling and no eating in morning again till the 12 o'clock shot kicks in so I'll start the new regimen tonight that you suggested. As for tubing I'll look on you tube and see how it's done oh my ! I cry every time I give her a shot. I have no epinephrine and the vet wouldn't give it to me when I asked again this time, she said nothing will happen so I cry and pray. Thank you for all the information I knew something didn't feel right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Follow our advice here, good luck.

Give banamine or Dex for brain selling 1 x a day.
I have one more banimine shot for tomorrow I'll try and see if the vet can meet me somewhere and give me more. I know nothing of Dex what is it and can I get that over the counter or vet only? I'm not going to tell the vet I added more times to the penicillin and the vitamin B. Just not worth it. I won't be eating this week after that visit it cost me 507.00 dollars. On SS so funds are tight, I don't regret doing it but I wish I could have posted on here first. Especially since she gave me wrong advice for that price. Thank you everyone for responding and giving me advice, I know we're not out of the woods yet but she's doing so much better stopped drooling about an hour ago and ate again tonight. I'm hoping she keeps this up. I have a question about her eye even though I've been putting in the eye cream the vet gave me today it's cloudy. I have colloidal silver should I use it and how much I'm assuming maybe a drop or two?

·
8,171 Posts
Dex is a steroid that reduces brain swelling and pain. (Swelling). It does nothing for fever. (Banamime is a fever reducer, pain killer and helps with swelling). Dexamethisone is the full name and is a prescription.

What part of the country do you live? Maybe a member of TGS is close by and can get some Dex to you.

Sending good thoughts your way for the continued improvement of your goat!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dex is a steroid that reduces brain swelling and pain. (Swelling). It does nothing for fever. (Banamime is a fever reducer, pain killer and helps with swelling). Dexamethisone is the full name and is a prescription.

What part of the country do you live? Maybe a member of TGS is close by and can get some Dex to you.

Sending good thoughts your way for the continued improvement of your goat!
I'm in the northeast ,Connecticut on the border of ri

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So today was a bit better day. I am on day two of the six hour regimen not as much drool. I actually saw her drinking a lot today. I had to go and pick up some more meds from vet ,banimine just in case the fever returns and some more biomycin which is still given every other day. I asked about Dex and she gave me one 10 cc syringe to be given today only. Does that sound right? I gave it to her at 5:30.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Yes, that's fine one time on the Dex and a couple more days on the Banamine. Keep up the hard work - I know it's SO tough. Don't reduce the injection schedule even when she seems 100% , continue at LEAST 24 hours after zero symptoms then wean her down SLOWLY increasing the number of hours between gradually over several days.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hi, I'm so glad that you are seeing improvement!!

One thing worries me. I don't think that you should give biomycin with penicillin. I think the two interfere with each other. Hopefully someone can confirm or dispute that for you. I would hate for her to get worse again.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts