The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -- new to this site and really hoping for some advice! We have two 10 month old Nubian weathers who are quite charming and personable and who love to eat. We're in NW Montana so just now having lots of forage on our property for them, so have been grazing them every day. During the winter they were eating an alfalfa blend (2nd cutting) w/some 3-way oat blend (from our local feed store) as a bonus morning and evening. They've been loving the grazing as well as the lettuce and carrot trimmings I've been able to bring them from the restaurant where I work.

Suddenly this morning they were listless, didn't want food and weren't playful at all. Same this evening. Eyes, coat, gums look good. We wormed them 2 months ago, which was their first worming. I'm baffled and worried. I went out to their pen tonight and all they wanted was to be scratched and petted -- no pushing (which we do discourage, of course) or nibbling (ditto), which is odd for them.

Any thoughts? We haven't vetted them yet, so maybe it's time? Worm them again? New spring grazing all of a sudden not sitting well? I'd really appreciate feedback. We really love these guys and are worried. :help:

Thanks -- Lee Anne

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
the fresh graze might have theri rumen off set...I would give C D Antitoxin to kill and prevent mor toxins from building..and probios to help restore flora...I would also recommend Thiamine..(B1) to prevent Goat polio while they are not feeling well...Thiamine is RX so your vet can give it to you..I would get a whole vile..its pretty fairly priced..

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
I would first get a temp on them..if its high ( 101.5-103.5 i normal range) they may need antibiotics...

ANd welcome to the forum..I sure hope we can help you boys feel better

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Ag store hopefullyhas it...I have had to order mine from Jeffers... C D Antitoxin binds toxins in the gut...this could be wants wrong with your boys...if you dont have it Milk of Magnesium (MOM) 6-8 cc orally...this may give the runs..but let it run its course if so..its cleaning house so to speak...

Of course if there is fever could be something else going on...let me know what their temp is
here is alink to explain CD ANtitoxin better
http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.UagqgGSDQxc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just realized it's been almost 2 weeks and I haven't replied! We found a wonderful vet who taught us a lot. I feel really stupid about this: turns out we've been overfeeding them :/ They did have "bloat"; he gave them each a shot to stimulate their bowels and stomachs and gave us tips on their food. He said they need more "simple carbs" in the form of hay, which is really scarce in this area; so he suggested we just cut some of the very long grasses we have on our property and dry those for hay. This has been working marvelously!

Again, I do feel stupid but at least they're fine; we learned something; and now know a great vet who will do evening and weekend visits for pretty cheap!

Thanks again for all of your input.

Lee Anne

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
But you got a great vet out of this lesson..how awesome is that : )

·
8,071 Posts
Everyone that has goats had to start somewhere! Glad all is well for you! Goats are a constant learning
experience! About the time you think you have them figured out, they throw a new problem your way!
But they sure are a lot of fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts