The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Whooo hoooo, I need to do that, I boight a doe that had lived in the house, and a buck that tried to ride in my car but havnt had a house goat in my house, soooo gonna try that

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Super awesome! Peggy Sue would never go in a pan, but she does go on command and waits for walkies or knocks at the door to go outside for "business". :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
Wow! I would so try that, but I don't think my parents would be happy with any accidents...or a goat being in the house period lol! The trick though is teaching them to poop in the pan :p

·
Registered
230 Posts
Okay so you do you train them to do this? I would love to be able to train ours to go in a pan or to go outside.

Tips anyone?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh my goodness, I wanna do this!!! Pee and poo is the reason my new babies have to be penned while inside...I would LOVE for them to be able to run around the house and play with the kitties and my boys! HOW do you train them? When we trained our dog we did it the way my parents did it when I was a child...if they peed or pooped in the house, they would rub their nose in it, tell them "No", and take them outside.

Could someone who has had success with getting your goat to go in a pan PLEASE explain how you did it in full detail???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You cannot train them to poo in the pan. We's catch her peeing punish her and drag her to the pan when she used it we gave her a treat you have to use one of those smaller rubber maid pans.

·
Banned
43 Posts
I can't imagine the thought of living with a goat in the house, even if supposedly housebroken. I imagine that one would have a hard time convincing the local health authorities that it were sanitary, if it were ever reported that she was sharing her living quarters with livestock.

Most respectable dog trainers have long since considered rubbing a dog's nose in it's waste as a housebreaking tool not only to be ineffective, but bordering on abuse. Those poor animals that do become housebroken by owners who use that technique do so in spite of it, not because of it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sensible, Out of curiosity what method would you use to housebreak a puppy? I have always done starting with a firm NO and immediate removal outside, and followed by a nose rubbing/ swat and outside if the first doesn't work. I am curious because I will be getting a puppy very soon and haven't trained a dog in 3 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As for the health concerns, its just like owning a dog, a dog can be worse as a health concern. When i'm house breaking a puppy I always use positive reinforcement. I take them out every so often and they are praised.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can't imagine the thought of living with a goat in the house, even if supposedly housebroken. I imagine that one would have a hard time convincing the local health authorities that it were sanitary, if it were ever reported that she was sharing her living quarters with livestock.
So it's ok for someone to share their living quarters with a cat who uses the bathroom in a litterbox, as opposed to a pan trained goat? Why, because the cat has been a household pet for centuries and a goat has not?

Most respectable dog trainers have long since considered rubbing a dog's nose in it's waste as a housebreaking tool not only to be ineffective, but bordering on abuse. Those poor animals that do become housebroken by owners who use that technique do so in spite of it, not because of it.
Ok, so I guess the fact that I swat my children's butt with my palm when they do something bad is considered bordering on abuse, then right? How about when they have to stand in a corner for 30 minutes? Bordering abuse? I mean, their poor legs are probably very tired from having to stand there with their nose pressed into a corner.

Give me a break. Because I rub my pup's nose in their pee pee and tell them no then take them outside does not mean I'm abusing my puppy. And ineffective? Bull. My dog does not pee in the house, nor poop...and that's how she was trained. I didn't shove her nose all around in her poop and smear it all over her face. Her nose is placed on the pee or poo spot so she gets the SCENT. And my mother trained every puppy we had growing up this way and they learned as well. So don't tell me it is ineffective. I know for a fact it is, and it is NOT bordering abuse to do it this way.

I realize everyone's got an opinion, but when someone starts insinuating abuse (or even BORDERLINE abuse), I get a little angry when it is simply not true. There is a HUGE gap between rubbing a dog's nose in their pee to beating them with a baseball bat, which IS abuse. And there is also a huge gap between swatting my boys' butts and beating them with a fist. Now THAT would ALSO be abuse.

This is supposed to be a forum to help and learn, not for people like you to preach goat and puppy politics. Take it somewhere else.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
That's great you litter-box trained her!

A friend of mine taught her last batch of kids to do that. Whenever they started to go she would pick them up and place them in the box. After a while, the kids would go there all the time. Of course they had accidents every once & a while, but I thought it was pretty cool.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I trained my bottle baby to go on his paper in his crate. Smart little man figured it out fast. Actually he got it into his head that "paper" also meant "rug" so once he trotted over to the rug, started peeing, and looked back at me like, "Look mommy! I'm being a good boy! :D "

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
I trained my bottle baby to go on his paper in his crate. Smart little man figured it out fast. Actually he got it into his head that "paper" also meant "rug" so once he trotted over to the rug, started peeing, and looked back at me like, "Look mommy! I'm being a good boy! :D "
:laugh:

·
14,615 Posts
Ok everyone, remember the "Keep it friendly, keep it fun" motto.
No need to call anyone out on how they handle housebreaking a puppy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is the reason why you can only train them to pee in a box because they have no control over pooping? Just curious...I do notice that when the babies pee, they look like they make the choice to squat...but when they poop it just comes out, like there is no control. New to goats so I don't know...just taking a guess :)

1 - 20 of 86 Posts