little billy didn't make it. Thanks all for the help.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by zatsdeb, Jul 5, 2010.

1. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois
    my little 2 month old billy this morning was standing holding his head down, he will nibble at grass, but not put his head up, runs when I walk behind him, but stops took his temp, it is normal... poop pellets... tummy not hard. I am stumped and don't know what else to do?!?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: 2 month old billy holding head down, not acting right

is he still like this?

can you move his head up?

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois

yes, I can move his head up, we noticed it when we did chores this morning, he was standing out in the lot just hanging his head down. I brought him in the back yard and took his temp, poop was fine, thought maybe an upset tummy, gave him pepto.. and I have bounce back mixed with water I have been giving him. his tummy is not hard, he follows his mommy around the back yard, I put her in with him. he climbed on the deck, but then just stands with his head down. when I hold him on my lap he puts his head on his side if I don't hold it up.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

sounds like it could be a possible polio issue. I would get B1 (thiamine) in him ASAP

5. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois

I did give him a shot of the b1 this morning.. I think I will give him another, That is the one thing I did think of... thanks... I hope he will be ok.

6. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Is he peeing at all?

7. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010

Any better today?

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

How's is he today? :hug:

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois

yes he is peeing, my husband goes out this morning and comes in and tells me my goat is dead.... then he comes back and says, he isn't dead, he was just sleeping... He is still holding his head down, I have been feeding him goat milk by syringe and he drinks it all, and bounce back water also.. and the b vitamin shot. He hates that! I wouldn't say he was any better, but he is not any worse.

10. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009

Are you familiar with FAMACHA testing? Basically, you're looking at the inside of his lower eyelids for their degree of 'pinkness' as an indication of his level of parasite burden.. Specifically, 'barberpole' worms. If he's pale, he's wormy.

He's 8wks now, on pasture, it's July, and he's depressed...if his parasite burden hasn't been considered, check him.

Quickly.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Can he stand on his own still? Can he eat at all?

Any chance he was injured or could have gotten an infection with a small injury?

12. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois

His eyelids are pretty pink, so is the inside of his mouth. he has been wormed and has his shots.

13. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois

He does stand on his own, he can get up and get down, when his head is down he tries to nibble on grass, I have put feed in front of him and he trys to eat it, I have been giving him goat milk and he drinks it pretty well, swallowing well, I am giving him vitamin shots also.
    also it doesn't seem he is hurt at all, he still runs from me with his head up a little when I go to give him a shot, he really doesn't like them!

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Some things it may be ...holding head down

ear infection or mites...use VetRx liquid made ..if it is...
    or there may be a foreign object in the ear....... if there is something lodged deep in the ear canal ...a vet will have to get it out....

Listeriosis...polio..

neck injury... give something to take down swelling...if the spinal cord or neck area is swollen ...that can make it to where.... the kid cannot straighten up the neck...
    could also be that ....the discs in the neck are displaced, but a vet has to determine that.

I recommend taking the kid to the vet... :hug:

15. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois

no swelling on neck,no neck injury. he will lift his head but not for long. he is drinking the goat milk and water when I feed him, peeing fine, nothing in his ears, no better/no worse today. it is very humid here, all the goats are laying under the trees. He acts like he is dizzy. when he walks to fast turning around in a circle he falls down.
    we are doing everything the vet said to do, keep feeding, and the vitamins, just time will tell, came home for lunch today to feed the baby.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

With the unsteadiness, there is a neurologic issue going on...how much of the B Complex is he getting?

With polio and listeria they both can have the neurologic affects before the severe symptoms poop up.
    My now year old doeling was 5 months old when she was showing neurological issues, her eyes were darting around and she was stumbling/staggerring. I immediadately got her on high doses of Penicillan as well as very high doses of B Complex, her poop was always normal as was her eating, when the vet was out on Monday, (this started on Saturday) she was acting fine, he said I'd caught it before it was fatal.
    At 35lbs, Penny was getting 2cc Pen2x a day as well as 8cc of B Comlex every 4-6 hours.

Tetanus was also something I thought of thats why I had asked if he'd had any injuries that may have gone un noticed...I've dealt with a little goat that contracted tetanus...his head was drooped and he would eat if it was given to him, a few days later is when he finally went down to the point that he
    could not stand, it started with his head and neck then took over his body within 5 days.( This was after a dog bite that was left untreated for 2 weeks)

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I to.. agree with Liz ....polio or listeria is what it appears to be....circling in one direction...is a big symptom .....I would start treatment as Liz had explained .......

I also wouldn't rule out tetanus..... but it is pushing me more towards polio/listeria.. :hug:

18. zatsdeb

zatsdeb New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Lincoln Illinois

the B1 and penicillin is the first thing I though of, and stacy's reply right away made me lean more towards the polio listeria thing. I can't see any kind of injury that he may have gotten so I don't think tetanus... Got him all cozy in the barn and going out to feed/medicate him again. He sure hates those shots. :( good thing I raise milk goats as I have a ready supply of milk.I am trying to keep what strength he has up.
    thanks for all the support here. You all have always been great! These little critters melt your heart. We raise meat rabbits also, and the mommy rabbit I believe had a stroke, maybe from the heat, Plus where she had poop on her the flies were on her, and of course the next day..( I had brought her inside) she had maggots, those blow fly ones that burrow in the skin.. I bathed her in diluted bleach water until I got all the maggots off, then gave her a nice bath in soap..and blow dried her .she was in the bathtub for several days before I got the rabbit cage. I was feeding her baby food carrots with a syringe and doctoring her, my husband was going to "knock her in the head" I told him to stay away from my bunny. It was his bunny until now! after a week of doctoring her last night she started eating on her own...and can't get enough. She has some limited mobility on her left side, but she is starting to move more. so on top of my little goat my little bunny foo foo has been in rehab.

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your animals are in my prayers :pray: and we are always here for you.....Glad bunny is getting better... you have a kind heart..... and saved bunny...... way to go girl... :thumb: :thumbup: :hug:

20. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

Gosh -- we do love our animals, don't we? I think there will be a special place in heaven for us. The unfortuante side is that we take it SO hard when we fail...