The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my neighbor's Boer buck got into my LaMancha/Saanen doe's pen....:rolleyes: :mad:. I don't like that buck anymore.

I won't lute her because I was about to have her bred anyway, but I really wanted Mini Sanchas. At least I won't have to pay a stud fee!

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They'll probably end up being meat. But, the doe blizzard is genetically programed to milk 2 gal/day, so I could sell her doelings as backyard milkers if her udder turns out amazing... :hair: I really wanted dairy kids here...

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Her kids could prob be sold as home milkers being half dairy ;) or great pets ;)

·
Super Moderator
59,278 Posts
Homesteaders will like the dual purpose of them. So I bet you will have no problem selling does as producers.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
With Saanen Lamancha momma even bred to a meat buck the babies should give good milk. I agree with the others, I bet you wouldn't have trouble selling does for milkers, now bucks from that cross might end up going for meat.

·
2,203 Posts
I personally would still lutalyse her anyway. I want what I want. Not what she wants. An impurity or a flaw in my line is NOT wanted. Especially if a Boer would contaminate my dairy herd.

Dual purpose, I agree there, however I'd still want it out. It's early in the breeding season we have plenty of time.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My good friend loves her boer crosses. She milks all of them and eats the wethers.
Yup, I love 'em. The doe in my herd with the absolute best tasting milk is my Boer/alpine. I get 3/4 a gallon out of her average over a 10 month lactation (she would have gone longer but I wanted to breed her again so i dried her up). The milk is rich, creamy and very sweet. I had two Boer/Oberhasli does i sold (registered 50% Boer) who had milk just as luscious but they hated being dairy does. i sold them to a boer breeder for her commercial herd, and she milks them a bit for her lotion making business but they mostly get to raise market wethers which makes them happier. I got a half gallon a day out of each of them as first fresheners but they had pretty tiny teats so milking was a pain. Their new owner uses a little hand milker and so teat size doesn't matter.

To date I have had no problem selling kids as long as i am mindful of their pricepoint. These are grade goats selling to families looking to raise their own food, not people looking to show or have high production. Depending on quality i sell for between $75 and $150. I stress the dual purpose aspect of the goats, milk for the family in high enough amounts to make it worth milking without being overwhelmed by milk, as well as meat for the freezer.

I plan to breed my Very Nice Nubian does (assuming the breeding i have a reservation on produces at least one doeling i will have two, i already have the one) to Boer bucks on their second freshening for dual purpose doelings. If i remember correctly their dams are milking 11 and 14 pounds respectively. I'm hoping to produce dual purpose goats who milk a gallon a day but still have the meat to bone ratio to fill the freezer.

All that said, I cull BRUTALLY for teat structure. Boer can bring in all kinds of wonky teat issues if you are not breeding for good dairy teats.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I would probably lute, I have before. However, mine are registered, and the difference in price between purebred/mixed is significant. And, it's early. But, I like this mix too. Good luck. It's a bit early to breed here, I don't want early Feb kids, late Feb/early March is what I'm shooting for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts