Little Bottle Feed Saanen has joint-ill

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jen1674, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Jen1674

Jen1674 New Member

Apr 5, 2020
    Lanark, ON
    Hi I am new to raising goats and new to goat spot.

My family and i recently purchased 2 bottle fed female saanens. One is doing wonderfully while the other is having some issues including issues with her left front leg.

We took them both to the vet on Friday to see what was going on. He said that she has an infection and gave us antibiotics for both. He also gave the little one anti-inflamatory for the leg. He believed that the infection had moved into the joint and it would just take time.

Friday after the vet and most of yesterday were good. She ate more and was moving around more. This morning she seems to be back to favoring the leg and now the back one is also giving her issues. She can still stand just can't get up all the way without help.

Looking for some advice and guidance from those with experience. Still giving antibiotics and will begin massaging the knee ( both front and back legs)

Thanks
    New goat momma

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What antibiotic was given? Baytril is the best antibiotic for joint ill.

happybleats and toth boer goats like this.

3. Jen1674

Jen1674 New Member

Apr 5, 2020
    Lanark, ON
    The little one was given Draxxin and Metacam at the Vet.
    Now we are giving them both Sulfadiazine/trimethroprim orally twice a day until the bottle is gone.

I am not sure if i should also be massaging the area or forcing her to stand more while the infection is still there.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hope things get better soon.

5. DRgoatfarm

DRgoatfarm New Member

Aug 25, 2019
    Central Nebraska
    We had a kid that had an infection that settled in the joints, I took it to the vet, she prescribed a shot of Resflor, then wait 3 days, then a 1/4 tablet of Meloxicam and a shot of Excenel daily for three days. That didn’t clear it up completely, so I did another round of the Resflor/Meloxicam/Excenel, and that cleared it up. He’s been doing fine now.

6. Jen1674

Jen1674 New Member

Apr 5, 2020
    Lanark, ON
    Thanks for the responses.

Getting worried. She eats good now but her joints are swelling to the point she does not want to try standing.

I am going to call the vet tomorrow to see if we need to up the antibiotics.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

See if you can get Baytril.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    joint ill is serious and needs a serious antibiotic. oral will not due. Baytril (1 cc per 25#sub q) is the best to fight against it..but Nuflor ( 3 cc per 100# sub q) will work if your vet hesitates to give you baytril...if the vet denies you the request for different antibiotic you can use LA 200 ( 1 cc per 20# sub Q) which is OTC. You will need to give once a day for 10 days. I know that sounds crazy but if the infection goes sepsis you can loose your little guy. I would also ask for either banamine ( 1/4 cc per 25# sub Q) or Dexamethsone ( 1 cc per 20# IM). This will help with pain and inflammation.

When treating for such a long time, its good to give probiotics daily 3-4 hours after the antibiotic shot.

9. Jen1674

Jen1674 New Member

Apr 5, 2020
    Lanark, ON
    Thanks for the advice about baytril. I will ask for it tomorrow. I also would like something for the pain so thanks for those suggestions as well.
    Before i can see the vet tomorrow is there anything i could do now?
    She can stand with help but it is definitely hard for her to stand or get back up.

toth boer goats and happybleats like this.
  10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Aspirin can help for pain and inflammation. One 325 mg adult aspirin per 10 pounds. You can crush and add to enough water to drench.

Best wishes