Little Buckling Not doing Well!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tog Lovers, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    He was born Thurs. afternoon (We are bottle feeding for CAE Prev.) He has been in the house with us and was fine untill Sat. evening. He was constipated and when he finally went it was very hard and dry. A few minutes later he pooped again and this time it was very loose and had blood clots in it. I think he may have gotten a tear in his rectum from the hard dry poo. Late Sat. evening it stopped and he was eating a bouncing around like normal. It actual took a while to get him to go to bed. Woke up this morning and He was just standing there in a daze. Called Vet and he came out. By the time the vet got here the buckling was just laying on his side and too week to even pick up his head. Vet gave him: Thiamin, Vit. B, and Banamine. (at 9:30 this AM) He will now stand very still for about 5 min. at a time. He will walk a few steps to his favorite spot to lay down. Now he is kinda dragging his back left leg a little. Not sure if this is from the shot itself or something else. My biggest concern (and the vets) was Goat Polio due to his digestive system being out of wack. I cannot get him to eat. I have only managed to get about 3 oz into him all day.

My questions are....How long before we see an improvement? How do I drench? (his mouth doesn't seem to work and I know he needs to keep eating) And Does anyone have any other ideas as to what I can do for him.

This is our first kid and I'm really worried we are screwing it up. I feel so awfull.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Do you have a weak kid syringe? I would be tubing him if he isn't eating. Might add a bit of oil to kid milk so that his poops stay soft and it is easier for him to go potty.

They vet gave the injections in his back leg? It's possible he hit the nerve which would make him lame.

Do you have a temp on him? Anymore blood in his poo?

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thankfully the intestines can repair themselves. How are his gums and eye lids? he maybe a bit anemic. Get lots of fluids in him (best thing is to tube him) and if needed give him some iron.

If you need directions on how to tube just ask. I tube fed plenty in 2008 I feel like a pro at it - not that it is hard mind you! it is rather simple

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What is his temp?

Are you using goats milk that is pasturized or a formula?

5. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I have a drencher. The one with the metal tip. But I have no idea how to use it. I don't want to drown him. So how do I drench him?

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    stick it in the side of his mouth and then push down the plunger - do it slowly so he has time to swollow.

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Is 1 shot of thiamine enough for a baby if it is polio? I thought they had to have them several times a day for a couple days. Babies can have it orally also.

8. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    We managed to get 4 oz into him around 6:30. He is still just laying around but his eyes look brighter. He still hasn't pooped. So we are going to try another enema in a few. Going to try drenching him again around 11PM. He is peeing good so I know he isn't dehydrated yet. He does get up to pee so he is moving on his own a little bit.

Thank you all for the help and advise. I will update in the morning.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray that he gets better.... :pray:

10. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Yes, prayers coming your way from Alabama as well.

11. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    This morning he seems a little perkier. He still is just laying around but today he is getting up and moving from time to time on his own. He is also keeping his head up more and looking around. He still doesn't want to eat which bothers me. Last night we drenched him again and got 60cc into him. He is really fighting us when we try to get anything into him. The fighting is good I know because it shows he has enough energy. But I really am worried that he isn't getting enough. He hasn't pooped yet even with the enema last night. I'm wondering if perhaps the diareah (sp?) drained him and maybe he isn't eating enough to produce any poo yet. :shrug: He is still peeing so he isn't dehydrated. In fact he seems to have a favorite place to pee (right in front of the door) and will walk quite a ways to there if he has to.

Do you all think I should fight with him to feed him? Or just keep offering and wait for him to be ready to eat?

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you have to force feed him, he needs to have enough food to keep his energy up.

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    60cc's is only 2 ounces. That may not be enough for him. Can you tube feed? Drenching is going to be frustrating to him if hes not sucking/swollowing well. Take his temp and make sure hes nice and toasty warm. Temp should be 101-103

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It really sounds like he needs a bit more unless you are feeding him every couple hours. If he is not wanting to eat on his own, I would definately make him - otherwise he will not have the energy to get stronger to eat on his own.

How is he doing this morning?

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    O my, Dorothy, I'm so sorry he took a bad turn! He seemed as though he was going to be fine after Saturday. :hug:

It's good that his eyes are brighter, shows improvement. But he does need to get more into his belly. I've never tube fed a baby but there are plenty here that have, I am sure that anyone of them would be willing to give you instructions on how to do t. He does need to get a full belly and if he's not sucking, this would be the best way to do it.

16. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Re: Little Buckling Not doing Well! HE DIDN"T MAKE IT

He passed away just a little bit ago. He was curled up just a few feet away. He cried out a couple times and I picked him up and he nuzzeled up against my cheek and nipped my nose. Then he just laid his head against me and passed away.

He was very very full. His abdomen was at least twice the normal size. The vet was here this morning to check on him and was much more concerned with getting something out than in. He thought the little guy wasn't taking anymore in because he was litterally full.

He had been starting to show signs of pain so I do feel a little better knowing that he is no longer in any pain.

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm sorry you lost him. :hug: :tears:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oh I am so sorry!!!! :tears: :hug: You did the very best! remember that! He wanted to let you know so you could say goodbye. OH dear need to get a tissue :cry:

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so very sorry :hug: Seems the liitle man wanted to say goodbye...you did all that you could for him so please don't beat yourself up, sometimes these little ones just aren't "right" and no matter what we do, they still slip away :hug:

He is bouncing over the green pastures at the Rainbow Bridge and has other babies to play with as well as mommys to care for him :hug:

20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh ...no ...I am so sorry for your loss ...you fought so hard to keep him going..... :hug: :(