Little doeling, buckling down - Fecal results

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Epona142, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I came home today to find Spice, the little doeling in my avatar, down and very weak.

Temp is 101.9

Pale eyelids

She can swallow, I have her nutri-drench, a bit of selenium, water, and a dose of wormer just in case.

Doesn't want to eat, can stand on her own, barely, but won't get up on her own.

Have her inside keeping an eye on her, but feel a bit at a loss.

This came at the WORST time. I have had a VERY bad month, and truth be told, I don't have any extra money for anything right now, and I feel awful about it.

Here I thought, it being October 1st, my month of bad luck was over...

What do you recommend? I thought I could get some milk from Cowbell, probably won't be a whole lot but...I only have 2% milk in the fridge. Is it even worth trying?

They (her and the little buckling) were wormed when they got here, and are pretty young. I think they were born in July.

None of the other goats are having any issues, BUT her brother is a bit pale, which makes me think worms or cocci? I have no way to treat cocci (SHAME SHAME ON ME) and the feed store had nothing for it either. The other kid here, Oreo, is doing fine.

Is there anything else I can do?

I feel 100% responsible and awful about this, something I did is going to cost me this beautiful little girl.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Little doeling down, very weak

I am so sorry... :hug: Hang in there. The only thing I can think of right now would be a cocci problem. It seems to take kids down hill so quickly. I don't have much advice, but hope she makes it. :pray:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Nutri drench is good.....any clumpy poop?
    Her temp is normal.... how are her rumen sounds? You should feel the movement and be able to hear the grumbles.
    A dose of probiotics would be good to give as well.
    It is hard to say wether it would be cocci without the fecal, but if your weather has been like it has been here...wet and drastic temp change, I'd say it would likely be best to try and get the sulfa drug to treat both, they're about the same age as my doeling who was diagnosed Monday with it.

4. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC

Sounds like cocci from your description ...get her on some meds right away as she could go down hill very fast. I lost one one year and learned that cocci can take a goat down in as little as 2-3 days. Best of luck !!

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

OH yes, I forgot, clumpy poo for sure. The little buckling and the other kid, and everyone else, have normal poo.

Rumen is fine, noises, movement.

Another truth, I don't have any probiotics left. I usually get more when I need to but with this last month having been one thing after another...it slipped through the cracks.

:sigh:

Our weather has been disgusting. HOT one day, cold the next, rain, rain, rain. Today it was cold, then hot, then rainy, now hot again.

Where can I get cocci medicine? The feed store does not have anything. Does TSC carry anything? The soonest I can get there is tomorrow afternoon though...hubby had to go to work and won't be off until after 10pm.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

TSC does carry a bolus...or pill form of Sulmet...it's pricey though :(

They also have another that is Aeromycin and Sulmet combined in a powder form...cheaper but I'd need to do some checking on the doseage instructions.

7. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

When will this bad luck end?? :GAAH:

Please let me know if you find the dosing instructions...I honestly have very little to work with, but she is so sick...

:(

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

If you have some yogurt that has good probiotics in it. I also use baking soda, just to cover all bases. Let me look for the coccidia natural treatment recipe really quick. . . it's a long shot but may help her until tomorrow.

9. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Thank you. I will see if I can get a bit of yogurt...its a walk to the store but I'll do what I have to.

I have some baking soda I can give her as well

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Here it is:
    Cocci Remedy
    1 tsp powdered ginger * 1 tsp cloves * 1 tsp slippery elm powder * 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup boiling water - Steep for 20 minutes
    For a 2 month old kid give 6-10cc twice a day for 5-7 days

Not a lot of people have the slippery elm on hand, it is great stuff though and if you have the chance I highly recommend having some on hand. I don't know if the other ingredients would work without it but it certainly cannot hurt to try, if you have the supplies.

11. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I am going to give my neighbor a call, she is really into natural healing and just might have those items on hand. Fingers crossed

ETA: Can't get a hold of her, she must be out somewhere. :(

12. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

She's doing worse.

Something seems off....her eyes are very strange. It almost looks like what I would expect to see if a dog had been poisoned...I don't know.

:shrug:

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

Do you have any injectable b complex or thiamin you can give her? and/or some human iron pills?

14. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I may have some Iron...have to look...I feel so unprepared

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

if you have the human pills just dissolve them in a bit of water, i've found the human iron brings their levels up faster than the injectable.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The areomycin/sulmet is ok to use...the areomycin is another name for the "tetracycline antibiotics"
    Are there ANY breeders close to you that you can contact to see if they have any Cocci meds you can get ASAP

the areomycin treats scours as well as bacterial pneumonia

Are her eyes dull and sunken looking?
    Thats a sign of dehydration.....any way you can get some fluids into her? Gatorade or electrolytes if you have them...poweraid or any sports drink will work.

17. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

I have been syringing water into her. Just gave her a bit of iron/vitamins dissolved in water.

They do look a little sunken, but also strange. Not even... one is drooping, and they seem to...tremble. Hard to describe.

I have some powerade, I'll give her some of that

18. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

She is having clumpy poo still, but not overly clumpy, if that makes sense? You can still see pellets and it falls apart...

Everything I read about cocci says diarrhea? Does clumpy poo happen as well?

She struggled a little, but was unable to lift herself up

19. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts

She is possibly having seizures from the sound of her "eye trembles" if possible you should consult a vet ASAP.

20. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

This is going to sound awful, but I have no way to get her to a vet today. I don't drive, and hubby is at work with our only vehicle anyways.

And frankly...there just isn't the funds for it. There would be, if I hadn't had my roof torn off, my car break down, my debit card stolen, and a bunch of smaller things, all in the last three-four weeks.

You can see my frustration.... I'm doing the best I can, but its just not good enough :(