Little doeling still not right.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Dec 26, 2010.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I posted on my little boer doeling a few weeks ago. She was shivering, off her feed, and feverish. We did a round of penicillin and she seemed ok for a few days, and then a relapse. The vet came out and checked her. He couldn't find anything obviously wrong. Her lungs, heart and rumen sounded fine. He said he didn't think she was carrying a high worm load. He gave us 3 shots of a stronger antibiotic.

I haven't noticed her shivering since then, but she still isn't quite right. She is eating and drinking, but something is going on with her. She doesn't seem to want to keep her back feet both on the ground. She moves them restlessly. She is also noticeably smaller than her twin and just isn't quite as bright as her twin. Whatever it is, is internal and I have no idea how to find it or fix it.

2. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    If possible can you let us all know what exactly she was given (I know you had tried to give injections earlier right?), how much, when/for how long, etc... also info on how old she is now & how she is currently acting (eating, sleeping, energy, etc)?

Pneumonia could be a possibility, of which only BioMycin has worked well for us here, and ONLY WHEN GIVEN FOR A FULL FIVE DAYS (thank you to Stacey for pointing that out to us!)! Which I know is not what's always recommended, but I know that 3 days does NOT WORK, atleast not for us here.

Coccidia treament might be another option, I don't think it would do any harm as it's listed for pneumonia anyway & would ensure that you're not dealing with a Cocci issue. Some Sulfadimethoxine product such as Albon or Di-Methox should be used, which has antibacterial properties to help with Shipping Fever Complex, Bacterial Pneumonia, & much more.

Vitamin B...even a human Vitamin B Complex tablet crushed up & mixed w/some water or gatorade & then drenched w/a small syringe would be beneficial in increasing immunity & appetite. It's also good for the nervous system, brain function, & red blood cell formation/function. Just good all around! And water soluable too, so no worries about giving a little bit too much. :wink:

Otherwise, definitely keep posting with additional information so we can all join in to help out with this little one. I'm sure your frustrated & worried, and I know many of us here want to help...

3. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I can't remember what the vet gave her. It started with an F, but I can't read the label.

She is definitely losing flesh, and is favoring her left hind leg. The hoof looks ok to me. She is still eating and drinking. She seems to favor hay over grain, which is a little odd. Any ideas are appreciated.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Are you sure... she didn't get slammed and is injured back there?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How is her temp? what dosage of Penicillin did you give her before?

Have you given any Probios?

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Did she get an IM injection on that leg?
    Some times the in muscle injection can
    hit a nerve and be very painful.
    It is possible to do damage to the nerve
    as well, but not as likely. I have had kids
    that will hold up the leg for a day or two
    after an im injection, but then they are fine.

7. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Slammed? I don't think so. No injection on that leg. I was giving her 3ml PenG (she's about 50lbs) per day. The vet gave me 3 injections of a stronger antibiotic (1 dose every other day). I haven't checked her temp in a few days but I will tomorrow. I haven't given her anything special to eat or drink other than a little nutri-drench this evening.

The vet is not a fan of PenG except for hoof rot or a uterine infection. He said I should use tetracycline instead if I need an over the counter antibiotic.

She isn't limping on that leg. She just kind of takes her weight off it when she is standing.