The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago two stray dogs wandered into our yard and just never left. They're sweet little dogs, both if them under 10lbs, get along with our Cattle Dog Raider and don't cause much trouble aside from the occasional digging. Well, a little bit ago, I heard Raider barking his head off and the goats screaming bloody murder so of course I ran out thinking that Raider had gotten in and was mauling my poor babies! Fortunately that wasn't the case. He was pacing the fence, barking at the two little dogs who were chasing Ginger and Daisy. I lobbed a few oranges at them and yelled obscenities as I was running to the fence (I have terrible aim and missed) and it scared them enough to high-tail it through the only gap in the fencing, which is all of 3 inches wide and 2 inches tall. I don't know how they managed to squeeze through. I looked over Daisy and Ginger thoroughly and only found a small cut on Ginger's back end, right on the underside of her tail. It was bleeding a little, not much, so I dabbed it with a wet towel to get the ickies off and dried it up. What would be safe to put on it? All I have on hand is maximum strength antibiotic ointment and a numbing disinfecting spray, and I'm only hesitating to use it because it's so close to her anus and I don't want Daisy to lick it off if it could be bad for her. I've only had Daisy and Ginger a few days and already feel like a horrible goat mother :(
Here's a picture of the cut, and a cute one of Daisy just because.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I love daisy! Her color and those eyes together are so cute! Ill let someone else answer that question because i have no idea. :)

·
8,357 Posts
Both will work and neither will hurt her. Is she up to date on her tetanus shot? If you have any Preperation H for hemoroids, that will help keep any swelling down.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Poor babe! I'd clean it off good. Do you have any "softer" antibiotic ointments? It looks to me like she'll be okay.

Ps. You're not a bad goat mommy! These things happen. I would patch up the hole in the fence and not let the dogs out without being moderated at all times. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I'm trying not to play favorites with them but so far I think Daisy is the prettier doe and Ginger the more affectionate, haha. I would love to show Daisy in the future but don't even know where to start with that. Ginger cries for you at the gate and is always all up in my face whenever I try and get a picture of her.
I just put the last of our honey in my tea last night, shoot. She's not pregnant, they're only three months old. They are both a little chunky though, working on that haha.
Ohhh Preparation H, good idea! I wouldn't have even thought of that. Thank you!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Maybe some Neosporin would be a less stringent ointment ?
The honey is only going to attract bugs now and thats now what you want to do. Its a great idea , but maybe not in bug season...
Make sure you clean it good and definitely cover it with some antibiotic ointment. Oh maybe Corona would be a good choice too.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Those strays now know they have fun toys just inside a fence. If I were you, they'd be gone already.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
with the strays, you have to train them not to chase. my dog chased my buckling ONCE, and he got scolded pretty badly (he's a HUGE dog). with my other two goats, they have horns and aren't afraid to use them on him, so he goes in for a sniff of their butt, but once they turn around, he high tails it to the other side of the porch.

I think your girl is going to heal up nicely. just keep it clean and dry!

btw - she is ADORABLE! love that face!

·
Super Moderator
59,718 Posts
As long as you can keep them out of the goat area, it should be fine. My dogs would chase and kill my goats if they had the chance. Neither my dogs or my goats are going anywhere. I just keep them in separate areas.

I would definitely put some antibiotic ointment on it. Is your full strength stuff prescription or over the counter? If over the counter, I wouldn't worry about using it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put some prep h on it, I'll do the antibiotic ointment also in a couple hours. It's over the counter.
Yeah, the little dogs are on their way out soon. We haven't minded them being here so far because they keep our Cattle Dog occupied and kill a gopher or rat almost every day and we have a horrible gopher problem, but lately one of them has been digging up the lawn in the middle of the night trying to get to the gophers and that's not okay. My boyfriend works on that grass every day. The hole in the fence has been closed up and they're not allowed anywhere near the goat pen now. Sucks, I really liked the little guys. One of them, Peanuthead (chihuahua mix), is the friendliest thing. All he wants to do is to sit in your lap and sleep. Scruffy is more independent but plays with Raider all day long which is nice. But my goats are more important to me than stray dogs, no matter how attached I've become.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts