Little help with my horse please. *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Crissa, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    She's doing great other than right after we put her on the pasture she developed diarhea. (sp?) We're going to worm her again to see if that helps, but it could be the sudden amount of green right? If it doesn't clear up by Tuesday I'm going to take her to the vet. What wormers would you suggest? (my co op is closed for the weekend so I have to try and talk my mom into ordering some) Thanks in advance!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Re: Little help with my horse please.

I would wait until Monday when the Co-op is open. I use a ivormectin paste wormer, but have been told to rotate through the different wormers throughout the year so that there is not a resistance.

I hope that she gets better soon - and yes it could be from the sudden change in diet.

3. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Thanks! She's such a good little horse, I don't want anything to happen to her.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Diarhea in a horse really isn't to big of a deal. So don't panick, now if this goes on for weeks, then you have a problem and should contact a vet. It's most likely not worms. Horses usually don't get diarhea from worms. Did she suddenly get switched from hay to grass?? That's the problem. That should clear up in a few days. Or if she's eating different feed then what she suddenly eats. We have a horse that has to be on pasture only or he developes constant diarhea, vets have no clue so he eats pasture only. She might not do so great on your kind of hay??

If she was suddenly put on a different kind of feed, next time, gradually switch her onto the changing feed. Mix the different feed together so she can gradually switch, just like goats. Or put her usual hay out in the pasture so she can eat on both.

Good Luck! :thumb:

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

She just got switched from hay to pasture. Thank you. :)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I would think that horses would be the same as any animal that you need to slowly introduce them to anything new. Like give her hay before putting her out to pasture for the first week till her body gets use to it

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

Crissa, there's another issue with putting a horse on green pasture suddenly- she could founder especially if the grass is very rich. It will put weight on her like nothing else but you need to watch for that.
    The usual way to introduce grass is to put out the horse for an hour a day for a couple of days then the gradually increase it.
    Ploppy poop is not really and issue -but are you talking watery diarrhea?

There was something I read years ago- if you hit a horse on the head, their feet say ouch.

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

She did have hay before she was put out on pasture, and she was taken out for about an hour a day to graze while out there and now we have her on pasture. So it's not incredibly new to her, but she does get more than she had before. And the poop is not watery, just really soft. Trust me I know to watch out for founder.

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

Sounds like everythings OK. Grass is the best thing for her. Good luck.

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma

Well it's cleared up just fine now. :greengrin: I think my friend is in love with her though. :roll: I got to ride my friends QH mare today WOW what a ride. Big horse compared to Star. Loved every second of it though! I WAS going to get pics, but my sister went to talk to her friend inside "for a minute" try 45. :angry: So you guys will have to wait til next time. :wink: