The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need desperate help. My little bucklings (twins) are trying to breed my doelings. They are all 7 weeks old. Can the doelings breed that young? What about the bucklings? My big single doeling is standing for the buck and acts like she couldn’t care less if she got bred! Only 7 weeks!
One of the bucklings got banded the day before yesterday. She other is getting sold as a buck. What do I do? Do I separate and bottle feed them? Bring in mama 3 times a day for nursing? Leave them be?
What about the doelings? Can they breed that early? Do I give the big single lute?
Help!

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
The likelihood of him being successful at breeding any doe is slim. The 7 week doeling most likely not in heat. If the buck is extending himself...and if you have a separate pen..you can pen the boys up together. Bring mom in 2 times a day to nurse them. I do this and it keeps the boys healthy and prevents the stress of wondering if he can or can not breed. 😉

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok what about this plan: bucklings get put in with the buck and his companion, mama gets milked out mostly in the morning and then taken to the pen so babies can nurse, then she gets put up. In the evening the bucklings can nurse her dry. Repeat in the morning.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They’re ok. They refused to stay in the pen with the buck so I put them a smaller pen. Which they dug their way out. So now they are back into mamas pen again.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Are they ok for hot places? It’s really humid and hot here. I don’t want him to overheat.
I use one here in Texas, it’s hotter than the devil right now. I do have lots of shade and both plain and electrolyte water out and so far it’s been fine. Crop the top as small on the back as will hold it on and leave the part that hangs normal length to cover his boy parts. When the boys are separate from the does, take it off. So far I’ve had no problems doing it this way. I hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thank you. I will look into getting one.
I do have another question though. My older buck has gotten quite pushy lately and has been a little mean. Butting me from behind and rearing up at me. He hasn’t hurt me yet, besides the few accidental bruises, but I’m worried that he might get braver. I picked up a spray bottle today, and I remembered that there’s a mix of water and vinegar or something to spray at his face.
What is the mix? I can’t remember and I couldn’t find it anywhere.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Ok thank you. I will look into getting one.
I do have another question though. My older buck has gotten quite pushy lately and has been a little mean. Butting me from behind and rearing up at me. He hasn’t hurt me yet, besides the few accidental bruises, but I’m worried that he might get braver. I picked up a spray bottle today, and I remembered that there’s a mix of water and vinegar or something to spray at his face.
What is the mix? I can’t remember and I couldn’t find it anywhere.
I just use water in the spray bottle. I yell No! in a very harsh tone of voice at the same time.
If you have a water bucket nearby and he butts you, dump it on his head. It does wonders. Be consistent and don’t let him get away with it. Please stay safe!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used the spray bottle with water this morning! He generally butts his head against the gate and acts crazy, and he has gotten his buddy doing it lately also. I sprayed him and he acted like it was melting him lol! That helped A LOT with this mornings feeding.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry I should’ve clarified better. This My older buck who is quite pushy around feeding time. Whenever I handle him he butts me and acts mean. I tried the spray bottle for awhile but it has became quite Useless now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts