The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to make a thread about my doe not producing much milk after kidding.
  • wondering how many have had issues with tiny udder with little to no milk.
  • if you did was it a first fresher?
I asked around and a larger goat farm said they only had one doe not produce milk, not counting does with mastitis, early kid loss.
so it seems it does not happen often at all and i am just lucky(unlucky).

- doe will be two in February. First kidding. Started udder development like any other doe around 3 weeks out but her udder never developed anymore. I was hoping maybe after kidding she will come into milk.
She had a bit of a rough kidding with first buckling upside down, but the doeling came out fine. She took awhile to let them nurse but of course she had no milk.
her kids are bottle babies but live with the dam. She seems like she has a bit of milk now, not enough to sustain them but like a snack at night.
She currently gets fed orchard hay, with all she can eat alfalfa pellets, mineral, kelp and replamin which was had been wanting. I also give her some haymaker pellets (mainly hay forage type pellet)

· Registered
Goat Slave
3,747 Posts
I have a doe that was with a previous owner last year for her FF, she had a little development then kidded and nothing. It took about a week or two to fully come in. She just kidded 2 weeks ago for her 2F and had no problem with her udder filling properly. I did give some CMPK and SE to her the days prior to kidding. I had read somewhere about low magnesium I believe that could cause a lack of hormonal signal. May not be the cause in every case but just something I had seen a while back.

· Registered
ADGA Registered Nigerian Dwarf goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits, & lot of stray cats.
228 Posts
I had a FF doe this year that had a super tiny udder with little to no milk but it came in after a couple days. Would any type of dairy goat grain for milking work?

· Super Moderator
16,611 Posts
Over the years I’ve had a good handful of FF that produced very little milk at first. It seems to be more common in those that also had singles, but still had with twins and triplets. A lot can effect the production of milk, including stress and let’s face it. It’s probably pretty stressful for little beings growing in them and then coming out :p it might also be that FF are usually still growing (much slower but still growing) and then add in kids and making milk and their nutrition is going in all different directions. At least that makes sense to me

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She wasn’t tested last year as I only tested when they were one and she missed it, but her sire and dam was tested.
I’m going to get some alfalfa hay when I run out if this hay and clean out the barn as much as aI can, she is now more into alfalfa pellets I think with the other doe she is competing for it even if she doesn’t really want them.

· Registered
1,325 Posts
She wasn’t tested last year as I only tested when they were one and she missed it, but her sire and dam was tested.
I’m going to get some alfalfa hay when I run out if this hay and clean out the barn as much as aI can, she is now more into alfalfa pellets I think with the other doe she is competing for it even if she doesn’t really want them.
Just introduce slowly, I think it was a little rich for them at first

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All seems good. I am still letting them nurse off another doe 2x a day, but not sure how much she is producing as i either catch her after her kid has drank or she is lowering her milk production a bit. They are eating hay a bit now. hoping to have sold the buckling as a bottle baby, but no one is interested yet. nice solid kids

1 - 14 of 14 Posts