Livestock Antibiotic Ban?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by prairiewolf, Jul 31, 2009.

1. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29861403/

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/14/healt ... 14fda.html

On the surface it sounds good. We shouldn't be feeding antibiotics to healthy livestock, it just isn't necessary if they are kept in clean, uncrowded conditions. Sounds good for small, natural farmers like me and bad for big confinement feeding operations. Good deal...Great.

However the more I read about this, the less "great" it sounds, like other recent "food safety" bills it seems to go further than it should. One article said it would ban "7 classes of antibiotics" that are considered important to human health?? I can't find the information that says which antibiotics would be banned from livestock use. If anyone knows where to find that info please let me know.

I also read they want to require a vet for all antibiotic use. Whoa, wait a minute, no OTC sales of any antibiotics at all?? That is what that sounds like it means to me. Suddenly this doesn't sound good at all!

It is rare that we use antibiotics on our farm. However, I don't know about you all but I HAVE had a goat get sick on a friday evening, really sick with a temp and obvious signs of a respiratory infection of some kind. It was back when we first got goats but I could not get a vet anywhere to answer a phone. So what did I do? I went to the farm store and bought a bottle of antibiotic (it has been so long I can't remember what it was but I believe LA200)I followed the directions, it was used responsibly on a breeding stock goat not a market/meat goat and he had an obvious infection. The goat lived, but would he have lived if he had to wait 2 1/2 more days until the vet's office opened on Monday to start treatment if there were not OTC antibiotics? I don't know but I guarantee he would not have recovered as quickly with as few complications as he did when treatment was started immediately. What about those poor people that don't have access to a vet that will treat goats at all? Are they just going to be out of luck when one gets sick and needs an antibiotic?

I don't like big feed lots and hog farms with filthy conditions compensating for it with routine use of antibiotics so I would not have a problem with a ban on antibiotics in FEED at all... but to ban all use without a vet's supervision is a mistake IMO. So what do you all think about this bill?

PS If anyone has any links to information about this (other than just the news article I posted) Please let me know. I want to learn more.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah it sounds risky .... I just had the same issue happen with one of my goats except it wasnt a weekend .... still the cost of the vet would be more then I could afford and i would be forced to reduce numbers

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    The problem is we OVER MEDICATE OUR ANIMALS. If people would STOP giving a antibiotic for everything they would not be doing this. People medicate animals that they are taking to sale barns and they know they are going to be butchered and they are waiting the withdraw period.

It is the same for dewormers.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok someone correct me but the only OTC antibiotics I know of are LA 200 (or similar- biomycin etc) and Penicillin right?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You are correct Stacey. But see they can change any law they want and make them NOT OTC anymore.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    and I agree that the majority of the US probably over medicates but thats a shame for those of use who dont. But I hear there are some good homeopathic stuff so if they did ban it then I would start that route because I am not going to go to a vet for everything! I dont like being ot dependent

7. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    OK, how about the ones like Dimethox (sorry, I can't remember the full name for it) that are used for cocci prevention? That's a sulfa drug, so isn't it an antibiotic too? Or maybe I'm totally confused?

I do agree on the over medicating, but I think there's a huge population that has been brought up that way. Think about this. I can remember that if a child would get a cold, the parent would take them to the doctor, and the doctor prescribed an antibiotic. Even though a cold is a viral infection, which antibiotics will not treat. So, these children grow up, thinking that anytime you get a bug, you treat it with antibiotics. These same children are now adults, and are starting to farm, so their treating their farm animals the same way that they were treated as kids. Just a theory that I have.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I really do believe, if this was to pass, if you have a good relationship with your vet, they would give you the medication to have. It is like that for me not. My vet wrights a script for lets say Excenell (sp), for me to have a bottle at home for when I need it. You have to have a great relationship with your vet and it will be a trust issue.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I also agree with the over medicating.... :wink:
    Antibiotics are very tricky.......if not used properly ....and if given... when it isn't necessary.....that's why... it is so important... to take temps first.....and not to automatic jump to the meds... :wink:

The other thing is ...that sometimes ........some use the wrong dosages .... when they are giving OTC antibiotics....in which creates resistance..... :wink:

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The main reason why animals are overmedicated is not because of the conditions they are raised in, but it is because of the feed that they are being fed. Feeding an animal on a diet composed of mostly corn and soy caused acidity in their systems; an acidic system is more prone to illness than an alkaline one. They feed antibiotics to keep them healthy and keep the mortality rate down. Take away antibiotics that are given to livestock, and there would be a rise in mortality rates for producers, as well as more of a risk of harmful pathogens being transferred to the meat and therefore to the consumer. Also, contrary to popular belief, giving antibiotics to livestock does not create resistance in humans. Humans create their own resistance to antibiotics when doctors prescribe unnecessary antibiotics for conditions that a person could get over on their own. Also, the use of antimicrobials like soaps and purell can lead to resistance from antibiotics.

And we can all complain all we want about big farmers, but it all comes down to this: People want cheap food. How do we make cheap food? We mass produce it. Although there are a lot of people who complain about big farmers, those who complain about it are a minority.

Here is an article from a farm paper we get: http://www.iowafarmer.com/articles/2009 ... ics_op.txt

11. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    Lots of good points. Luckily we also have a good relationship with our vet but my point is a vet is not always available and we use antibiotics so little on our farm they expire before we use them so I am guilty of not keeping them in stock always. It is a shame that it seems to me that this bill is not fair to the people that don't over-use antibiotics. I think they should ban it in feed, and enforce more inspections and harsher penalties for those that do sell animals for meat without following withdraw times, but they should leave the OTC meds in bottles alone. Where will it stop? Having to get every little thing from a vet will significantly increase the cost of things and in some cases could delay treatment for pets and breeding stock that are not going into the food chain when their owners don't have access to a vet for one reason or another.

12. prairiewolf

prairiewolf New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    southeast Kansas
    Thanks for the link goat happy! I had not found that one.

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Over here you cannot get any antibiotics OTC, and it's really not all that difficult. I mean yes, I have to go to my vet to pick up what I want - but I always keep a stock of antibiotics in my cupboard by buying it in advance. I dont have to pay for a vet visit - just for the actual antibiotic, and he's great about just giving it to me. If I run out, I buy another one - so I never get to the stage where it's late at night etc. etc. and there's an emergency and I haven't got any :wink:

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I only skimmed this and didnt read the link :oops: but we are the same as weevil, no over the counter a/bs and its not really a big problem

talking about the use of a/b or medication in feed for healthy animals ... that includes cocci medications in feeds too! And I know I would lose a lot of kids if I didnt feed medicated feed.