Washington Livestock guardian dog

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by PerryB, Mar 10, 2020.

1. PerryB

PerryB New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We are looking for a new home for Sebastian, our livestock guardian dog. He lives with our goats and does a good job of protecting them. However, we’ve moved to a new home and his barking at coyotes bothers a couple of the neighbors. So, we need to find a new home for him.

When I got Sebastian I was told he was a mix, primarily Maremma and Anatolian. He is 3 years old. We live in Northwest Washington.

IMG_0682sm.JPG

3/19/20 Update: given the current COVID-19 virus situation. I've decided to postpone looking for a new home for Sebastian.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    CaramelKittey and SalteyLove like this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Have you tried talking to the neighbors? Make them understand that he is also helpin THEM by keeping predators at bay with his barking. And that he is at a new home with new noises and different nightime movements and that it will take him a bit to adjust. Once he gets used to the rythm of the new digs he may be a bit more settled a d quiet unless a predator comes onto your property. If you are in the country.... is there a noise law?

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can't work it out with the neighbors, I hope you find him a good home.

Sfgwife likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you live in a livestock zoning or ag area.
    I would keep the dog, he is doing his job and you shouldn't have to give that up for the neighbors who are not very bright.
    It is new to the dog too and he should eventually get use to what his surroundings are and know who the neighbors are as well.
    My dog see's our neighbor out in his orchard and goes and barks a couple of times until he figures out, "Oh it's just you".

As a farmer or livestock breeder, in the proper zoning, you can fire up a tractor early in the morning or in the middle of the night, it doesn't matter if it wakes up the neighbors.
    The law stands for us. So find out about where you are. Ask your realtor. Hopefully, you are in that zoning.

Do not give up such a great protector for your livestock. He protects your place and the neighbors places as well, detouring predators or even theives.

Do not allow them to rule, what you can or cannot have.
    They will control your life that way.
    Especially if, you are not in city ordnance.

Sorry for the rant, but I dislike neighbors like that.

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

AMEN!

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California