Livestock supply store moves boldly into last week

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, Dec 11, 2009.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Our local livestock supply store is finally showing goat owners some love. Slash is getting ready to off load cargo and she's only got one good refueling nozzle so we have to stand by to bottle feed one of the little beggars.

To my surprise the store had kid colostrum and milk replacer especially formulated for goats, goat size nipples and mixing bottles. I almost fell over. Couple years ago there was nothing goat related. We were wondering if we could buy canned goat milk and warm it up while trying to figure out how to cut down a calf bucket.

Progress. :leap:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Isn't it wonderful when you don't need to improvise?

That is great news..... the local TSC has so much new goat stuff in stock now that I tend to spend way too much time there.

3. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    That can't be a coincidence, since the place I go is also a chain (Stockdales).

When I first showed up in this forum I had a theory that goats were becoming more popular, although all I had to back it up were my own subjective observations. Big chain stores like TSC and smaller ones like Stockdales getting on trend train would be a big indicator that goats are gaining respectability and popularity. They wouldn't waste the shelf space if the market wasn't there.

Only one thing...I really don't like the syringes TSC carries. The Luer-Lock are much better.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Now if the vets and the med manufacturers would get on that same train we would be set.

5. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    They'll be along. If there's money in it, they'll arrive.

Problem for them is goats are low dollar livestock. At least out here. No one is going to spend $100 on a vet bill for an $80 goat, especially considering they're quite tasty. I tend to eat instead of treat.

6. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I understand where you are coming from, but not all goats are low dollar livestock. There are many goats worth more than cattle. And also, if people pay $100 [including us] to have a cat neutered, what is wrong with taking a goat to a vet? I know not everyone agrees that goats are worth enough to provide vet care for, but it would sure be nice if they did.

7. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Some of them are worth quite a lot and, if that were the case for mine, I'd take them to the vet. But since we eat goat anyway, an injury only tends to change the batting order. Same with an illness, but that's a different equation. Depends if the animal is a good producer, where they are in their life cycle and whether the disease or illness spoils the meat. If it was one of my top producing nannies, she might get a trip to the vet instead of the grinder.

Worst case, they'd go through the grinder and end up as dog food. I hate wasting anything, especially an animal. Burying one is an absolute last resort. Last time I had to do it I got teary the whole time. Of course it was a really pretty one, too.

I don't take my chickens to the vet, either. And I don't let anything walk around sick or hurt. It's not that I don't think they're "worth" getting vet care, it's just I also consider how much room I have in the freezer and the replacement cost. I can spend $60 and have a freezer full of healthy food and a new goat.

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    By culling instead of treating you will improve over all flock/herd health and cut WAY down on sickness.