Llama as a guard??

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by JK_Farms, Aug 12, 2017.

1. JK_Farms

JK_Farms Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I'm thinking about getting a guard llama for my goats but I don't know much about them. Do I just put the llama in with the goats or what?? The hoof and fleece trimming don't bother me I can do that. But I have to have a friendly one that's good at protecting but human friendly. Are any llamas able to protect and are good at it? I was looking at a rescue but I'm not too sure about it.

odieclark and capracreek like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Friendly to humans and guard don't go together. You have to make sure they are actually a guard. Not all guard.

3. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Friendly as in they won't attack me or my family. I'll put them up when people come to buy. I have a little bit of a problem neighbor so as long as it will not be aggressive to me I'll be ok

4. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Where is the best place to get one? I'm still trying to learn about the guards but we definitely don't want a dog..... Our dog right now is sick and old and we don't feel right about getting another

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member

I believe someone just posted about coyotes coming in the pasture and killing a baby goat, along with some fowl, and her "llama" just stood there watching. So I would only buy from someone who would guarantee the llama was a guardian. Not all LGD's make good guardians so don't "assume" that all LGD's, llama, donkeys, etc are good livestock guardians. Check out their parents, if at all possible and get a "refund" option if they don't work out. I paid over $800.00 for a bitch, who was supposed to be "show" quality and had her flown down to me. She was so "shy" (which I mistook for flight fear) that if she ever got off a lead or out of our property, she wouldn't come to anyone. She passed that trait on to her litter. I ended up giving her back to the breeder.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

You would need to find a reputable llama breeder or someone who needs to find a new home for their proven guard. Nothing under 3 years old is a proven guard.

Suzanne_Tyler and Goat_Scout like this.
  7. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I found one that's from a rescue they sell them for guarding goats and sheep and one is 10

jkgoatfarm.weebly.com
    instagram- jk_farms

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

What is the guarantee that it actually guards? It is nice to get from a rescue but what will you do with the llama if it doesn't actually guard?

Honsby and Suzanne_Tyler like this.
  9. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    How would I know if it guards or not?

odieclark likes this.
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

The rescue or wherever you get one would have proof of it guarding. Otherwise you are taking a chance.

Suzanne_Tyler likes this.
  11. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
  12. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member

This is why I would look for a reputable breeder. Rescuing animals is such a great thing to do. But usually people don't "surrender" producing animals. I said "usually". You might get a contract with the rescue that gives you a "certain" time frame where you can return the animal in the same condition you got it, for a full refund if it doesn't do the job you wanted it for. At least you have some recourse if the llama turns out to be a dud. And I would also advise against getting it a "friend", it's friends need to be your livestock, not another llama.

JK_Farms likes this.
  13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Depends on the llamas and the size herd. I lived near a sheep farm that had 3 guard llamas. They always posted themselves so they were watching the whole field. I had 2 guard llamas. One went after the threat and the other one herded the alpacas to the barn.

14. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    I would only be getting one to guard my 12 females. The people near me only sell show guardian llamas that sometimes go on sale at 1, 000 plus dollars! But the rescue is $250 rehoming fee that comes with a halter.

15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Will the rescue take the Llama back if it doesn't work out or are you willing to keep the llama even if it doesn't guard?
    There is a reason for the price difference.

16. JK_Farms

Nov 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    Yes within 30 days. But I'm not wanting show quality just a protector and $1000 is a lot of money just for a llama

17. odieclark

odieclark Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Following ♥️

We love our llama-no previous experience

Gelded male
    Was a show llama
    No guard experience
    Was 13 at time of purchase
    Not returnable
    He was introduced to our goats at the time

Instantly he took over as guard

Currently, 3 years later he is with our young ewes

He loved the goats

Now he loves the sheep

We are lucky? Blessed with him!♥️

O'Boy Goats, Goat_Scout and JK_Farms like this.
  18. Honsby

Honsby Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Apparently, not all Llamas make good guards Karen...

Attached Files:

Goat_Scout likes this.
  19. Honsby

Honsby Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    All kidding around aside, there are other options. Consider maybe an alpaca or guanaco (endangered?) if you'd like to expand your horizons and make some extra income.

This video might help.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  20. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator

Alpacas don't make good guard animals. They don't have enough weight to stomp and kill. My alpacas needed a guard llama. A good guard llama can stomp and kill a dog. Most llamas are not good guards. That is why if you find one, you treasure it. You can certainly get lucky with adopting from a rescue and end up with a good guard that you take a chance on but you are taking a chance.

odieclark likes this.