Llamas, and mini llamas

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by ThreeHavens, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    The rumors I was reading said something about caged animals, but what I read on the website said it is gathered from zoos, resorts ... etc.

How expensive do you find it? You coat the whole perimeter?

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well I do it differently because where I turn my goats out there is no way to spray the whole area. So each day before I turn them out I spray a goat.
    If you to to preditorpee.com it will tell you how to cover a area but I know you don't have to spray the whole place just like 100feet I want to say but don't quote me on that. It also says how long it lasts. But since I put it on a actual animal I just do a spray a day

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

3. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Do you have a guardian of some kind, or is the pee good enough?

4. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Nope when I turn them out I'm just counting on the pee. I do have the alpacas but they stay in the pen. We have our place in different sections and is just barb wire (cattle ranch) and the goats can go threw but not the alpacas so no point in turning them out if they can't even try to stay with the goats.

5. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

I don't know llamas but our horses aren't worth crap for running anything off. We have bears and coyotes that come threw and the horses pay absolutely no mind to them. Nothing has ever messed with our goats however nothing is fond of the 5 strand hot wire we have up now either.

Samantha

"5 minutes of fresh air is equivalent to 5 mg Valium"

6. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Waiting for the coyote lights to come ... I heard them last night. We let the horses out into the pasture beside the bucks and kept the lights on. Everyone's okay this morning but the horses are worked up.

No. Thank. Youuuu

7. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Lol no I bet not. We have a coyote that goes out and is with the horses and cows every night and they don't even care. They just pretend he's not there. But a bear, I always know if we are ridding up on one or where one has been because they start freaking out. But they are only exposed to them during the summer. I'm sure if it was more often they would be better.
    But it sounds like your coyotes are about like mine are here. Not really fearful of people but not to aggressive. The ones here have never tried getting into just normal field fencing and I don't lock them up in a building just the pen. I've seen them trot by the pen but have never made more of a move of just looking at them. They don't really like anything that looks like a trap. But I also have full sized goats, I think I read you have minis so they might be more tempting

8. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Haven't found any within the fence yet, thankfully.

9. TOU

TOU Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Top-Of-Utah
    Would you mind please posting these?

10. Patch

Patch New Member

Jun 30, 2014
    North of Houston
    We got a 3yr old gelding in Jan 15 and he is great with the goats. He gathers the kids like he is the baby sitter. We have lots of dogs in the area loose and none will come close to our llama.

I highly recommend them!!!

Did you get one?

Ours is very friendly to us and will eat out of our hands, and breath down our back if we are not giving him a little grain, but he is pretty standoffish and extremely cautious. Ours is haulter freindly....if you can get it on him. I was gathering him the other day as I was moving goats to another area not connected so I wanted to haulter him. We got them all into the loading pens with food, but then our llama, from a standstill, hopped....and I mean hopped over the 4' holding/loading pens to get away. He cleared it by a foot. He has never tried to leave the goats or clear any of our fences, but that posed a problem for us. I pick up a feed bucket and he comes right to you, but if you pick up a rope...he keeps a 50' distance. They sure are smart critters.

Our llama does not eat much. He eats mostly browse, but will take a little of the grain if given in a separate bucket. He will not steal from a goat like some other animals.

-Patch

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  11. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    My alpaca is the same way with a rope, actually she won't let us touch her but she likes her grain. So I walk with the bucket, place the bucket in the new pen and walk off and shut the gate once she comes in. My male who was a bit more friendly wouldn't like the halter either so I would always just put a rope around his neck and led him. Maybe that would work??
    And yes nothing is overly fond of the alpacas here either lol my dogs will bark and run away if they run up to them and the cows and horses run past the goat pen as fast as they can lol