Locking goats out of barn

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by NDinKY, Jun 16, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Does anyone have to lock their goats out of the barn when the weather is nice? I swear our girls want to lounge in the barn all day when the weather is beautiful. I’ve started locking them out in the morning and letting them back in during the evening. They have plenty of shade trees and shade from the barn, but they do not like being locked out.

Am I the only meanie locking the poor little goats outside all day when the weather is mild and no rain in the forecast?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Yes! Our does will lay around in their shelter if we let them. They are Boer does and 5 of the 6 are on pasture/hay only, so it's vital they go out and graze. Usually once we chase them out of the shelter to the back acre where they usually graze, then they'll stay back there most of the day. If they try to come back up and lounge, then we take them back and will lock them back there.

MadHouse and NDinKY like this.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Mine act like it is goat abuse. They will venture out down the hill eventually, but half the time they stick by the barn. Glad mine aren’t the only ones!

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Josh gibson

Josh gibson New Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Canada
    Mine are doing the exact same, I have to kick them out to graze also!

MadHouse likes this.
  5. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    As long as they have food (graze) and water I don't see why that would be mean. I however don't have an opinion right now to lock mine in or out. And honestly if I did I don't think I would. I see certain places and structures on my property as the animal's safe zones. Whether it's their pens, coops, houses, or just a bush that all the chickens gather under. Those are places that the animal's feel safest and I always want my animals to know they have a safe place to go.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    goats are funny. We have tons of shade trees but they like the heat i guess.. We can't lock our goats out of the barn as its an open stalls type off a shop but we do have what we call a Warm room. I do have to kick a few out and close that door. It gets pretty warm in there.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If I could lock mine out, they would be out all day. If they have a shelter if storms kick up, shade, water and a safe area to be, out is a good thing. Less hay to buy/feed, less barn to clean, yep, out is good!

8. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Mine get locked out from 7 am to 6:30 pm. They have hay, water, minerals, shelter and browse ouside. Nobody needs to get wet if it rains and they all have shade.
    I do this because they are in different groupings, and there is only one door into the barn.
    I think they complain when there is a change, and they are begging you to let them have what they used to have.
    I used to let them come in earlier, but it is so much more to clean in the barn then. It was one week of uproar, then they accepted the change.
    The only time this routine changes is when there is a risk of tornado, or if it is actually raining hard at 7 am, so they get to lou ge inside.

SalteyLove and NDinKY like this.
  9. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    MadHouse, you might be right about the change thing. I figure it’s better for their health to be outside more, rather than spending all day pooping and peeing in their stall. I’m hoping as they get used to being forced out they’ll get less insistent about coming inside. They swarm the entrances if they thing they can squeeze in.

Some of them were suburban goats with perfectly manicured paddocks before I got them. They’re country goats here. Weeds everywhere to browse.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Mine rather stay out, LOL.

But, I would lock them out, if they did that. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Mine stay in their barn if it’s hot or buggy. They like go out during the evening for grazing, they eat their hay throughout the day, but they love to nap and lounge.

I don’t ever kick them out, if they want to lounge in their “cush” palace, why not!!

goatblessings likes this.
  12. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

The farms where I got my goats kept them outside day and night from April to November, just with small shelters in case of rain or storm. I thought they were so lucky to go into a barn at night here. Instead they screamed at me the first few weeks starting at 2 pm. I couldn’t figure out why, until it dawned on me. I was sometimes letting them in if it rained or just because, and so they were always hoping. I learned, consistency is a must, or else I would hear about it. :bonk: