The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I recently started herbally deworming my goats with Land of Havilah formula. These last two days, I have been giving it to them through a syringe. I have to wrestle them and jab the syringe into their mouth, and some spills out of their mouths. Can anyone give me any other ideas for administration that are fast to make and work for picky eaters. I thought about mixing the formula with apple juice or something other than water to drench so that they'd maybe like the taste better.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Mix it into something they love. Mine love molasses. I make the dosage balls, with 1 teasopoon ground flax added. Mix ground flax with measured herb, add enough molasses to form balls.
If your goats love banana, try mixing in into mashed banana. Mine have taken it in grated apple. Some people use apple sauce or pumpkin mash.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ugh, a complete bust. I must have done plenty wrong. The way it turned out, it was like honey soup. I couldn't form balls, and when I tried to give the slop to them, my hands were just dripping with honey. They are both scared to take food from me now after I wrestled them to shovel a strange object in their mouth. Such babies!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Ugh, a complete bust. I must have done plenty wrong. The way it turned out, it was like honey soup. I couldn't form balls, and when I tried to give the slop to them, my hands were just dripping with honey. They are both scared to take food from me now after I wrestled them to shovel a strange object in their mouth. Such babies!
Less honey (ok, you know that now), just enough to make it sticky, and maybe add a very small amount of oatmeal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like to use slippery elm bark powder as a kind of flower to hold everything together. My goats love it! I also roll the outside of the herbal balls in it so they don’t stick together.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm trying the honey balls again tonight!
I am just starting on the dewormer, and you are supposed to do it 2x a day for 3 days, but we are off to a shaky start. I wormed them Sunday Night, Monday Night, one licked my hands dripping in honey earlier, and then tonight I'm trying the balls again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am just starting on the dewormer, and you are supposed to do it 2x a day for 3 days, but we are off to a shaky start. I wormed them Sunday Night, Monday Night, one licked my hands dripping in honey earlier, and then tonight I'm trying the balls again.
👍🏻 You said you tried giving it to them with a syringe correct? What carrier oil did you use?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great! Hope everything works out. Definitely don’t make it super sticky ( believe me when I say I have made the herbal balls WAY to sticky). If you use oats or slippery elm bark as the dry ingredients, other than the herbal dewormer, everything should work out. My goats didn’t like anything at first, but they got used to it quickly, so don’t worry if yours don’t like it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts