LOL...Is this good or bad?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Oct 17, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Granted....I tend to likely give my goats more hay than they actually need but I like knowing that all 6 girls are getting. I have hay in racks in 4 different areas outside and nobody except my boys have gotten grain since July.

Miss Penny is bred for a Feb 9th due date and since her last weight I got in July she's put on 9 lbs! Nothing but browse and alfalfa hay....she had stayed at the same 35# weight from January to May and started gaining since then...she's a long doe, solid and a good height at 15 months old. She now weighs 60 lbs :shocked: Thats just 10 pounds less than Binkey and she's 5 1/2 years old. Penny's mama is a long, dairy doe but I figured it would take Miss P another year to get this much growth.

I give 3 flakes in the morning and if I totally fill the racks in the evening, I don't give hay until the following afternoon....how do you keep a goat from getting fat on hay alone?

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I don't know.... but if you figure it out let me know! LMBO..... my girls are all pretty ummmm "hefty" too LOL :slapfloor:

3. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I have a simular problem. My Doe and her wether brother are housed together. The doe is a good weight but the wether is FAT. They just get hay, free choice. :?

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have 4 FAT wethers! The farmer that farms our fields stopped the other day to ask me when they would start giving birth.......he didn't realize they were wethers! They only get hay and what little browse there is, which isn't much after our hot dry summer.......so if anyone figures it out please share!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    besides limiting hay its near impossible to keep some goats from getting overweight on just hay alone. Some are just easy keepers

6. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    We cut back on what we were giving them in the morning. Plus we put the outside hay rack further from the barn so they would have to walk farther. It helped a little bit with 3 of the does but two of them are still "full figured" LOL

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Oh my gosh, Denise, that is hillarious! :ROFL:

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Yeah, if you find out, let me know. I go through 1-2 bales a day here, because I keep the hay crib filled. My nigi's are a good weight... my nubi's, not so much. They don't get grain, but they're still a bunch of fatties. lol

9. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Wow...now I know im not the only one lol. All my goats look so fat! But I dont feed too much, I actually feel like I dont feed enough! But they are so fluffy and happy! During the Winter they get bellies and then summer they slim down a bit!

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Hmmmm. Sounds like we all need to put them on weight watchers for goats. :laugh: Murray swears he's not fat. He's just fluffy. (he's short haired so I don't know where he get's the fluffy part) :doh:

Gina

11. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    @Gina - you are too funny!!! :slapfloor:

I had said that Magic and Twinkle were full figured. They are the ones that didn't slim down when I moved the hay rack and changed how much we were feeding. It was hysterical when I heard my daughter tell a friend... "those two aren't pregnant they're just full figured" LOL

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I just wish I could get the same weight gain on my 2 bucks! I'll need to get some pics, the 3 girls that are bred are HEAVY but don't look it..the 3 that arent definately look as though they are preggy! I starte to fill the racks once a day...in the afternoon, the boys still get hay twice a day but the girls once, IF I see any one looking like they need more, they'll get it but holy cow...my girls are definately needing to lay off for awhile.

13. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I thought they were supposed to get hay free choice.

Now grain.............. mine are probably getting too much. All NDs, 3 does and 7 babies (8 weeks old now) went thru 100 lbs of grain in 10 days. Does that sound like a lot? No one is fat (a few fluffy babies, but they take after their daddy who was a total furball.)

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...they should have all the hay they want...mine though tend to eat an entire bale within a couple hours, I will pak a bale into the rack and they will not leave it until it's GONE! They get no grain and I'm thinking that this hay is extremely rich which is why they've gotten fat. 2nd cut alfalfa....I've also recently gotten some stemmy clover hay so I've been mixing the 2.

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I limit their hay -- I dont give it to them free choice - or i would go through WAY TO MUCH hay in one day. I have one yearling who I am watching her weight - she is borderline and I dont want her to gain anymore so I am cutting out the nightly grain and just giving it in the morning. (its like 2 cups for 5 does just to keep them quiet! or they annoy the neighbors and I wanted to build weight on SP and Spirit) But I am sure its the hay doing it. They love this hay I got.

16. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Yes my goats love the new hay i got also. I was getting it from this guy around the corner, huge bales for $5 each, and i could get just a few at a time. Then he ran out, and i found he wasn't cutting hay this year. Went to another guy a little further down the road and his hay was much better - little more expensive, $3.50 for regular size bales but much greener, and they gobble it down. Plus i have to store it myself, so i grabbed 12 bales, and i need to get more. Don't know what i will do when i run out. The crap at countrymax is like straw - a bit greener, but really hard stalks.

17. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    If they're on 100% alfalfa, that might be making them fat... that's a relatively high-protein, high-calorie hay. I kept the dry does on a 60/40 (well, that's what the feed store calls it, to me it looks more like 80/20) orchard/alfalfa blend all summer and they stayed at really good weights.

Now everybody's back in one pasture together for winter, so they'll all be getting alfalfa... and I'm guessing a few of them will get a little pudgy! But, I'm planning on breeding everybody too, so I don't want to keep them on orchard alone while they're growing babies inside them... and trying to put on winter coats too.

18. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    I'm trying to get weight on my buck because a little on the thin side, but his twin brother (wether) is really FAT! My buck is never seems that hungry but the wether on the other hand is always begging!