Lola Shedding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Feb 10, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    My new doe Lola is shedding out all her winter coat and it is only February!

Any ideas besides stress? I am going to need a coat for her poor thing as the winter is far from over. Her previous owner is going to see if she has one on hand.

Any ideas on how to make one for her?

She started to shed on the 2nd by today she is in full blown sheeding it is coming off her in tuffs. I am so scared for her babies :( :tears:

These pictures are from 2 days ago -- today it is MUCH worse.

Attached Files:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My friend has a doe that is shedding like that too. No idea why.

What are you feeding her? Is it a different feed than what she was fed at her former owners place?

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes it is a different feed. her feed was a pellet feed 18% protein. I have a sweetfeed that is 16% protein. I have had her since January 21st So 20 days.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Now that I see the pictures.. Is that only the wool stuff coming out? All of my bucks are losing that part. I'm taking it as a sign of early spring.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no more of it is coming off, she looks so much worse. she doesnt have much undercoat left.

She started to shed right after the coldest days we have had so far then it decided to really warm up the past few days.

I hope it stays mild for her sake. But I dont think it will.

:sigh:

I will get better pictures tomorrow. It is all over the fence too as she is rubbing it off.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hmm.. Well you could try adding some sunshine pellets to her feed.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    http://www.blueseal.com/livestock/goat/feedprg.php

The last feed on the list. It's got all sorts of vitamins and minerals. I feed it to all my horses and goats. I noticed their feet grow faster, shinier healthier looking coats and more energy. It will also give her more protein since she was on a high protein feed.

Course, that is if your feed store carries it.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am also feeding fastrack -- it is suppose to help with coat growth, not shedding :doh:

Dont have blue seal locally but there is a place a little out of the way. will have ot look into it

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Stacey, relax, all my goats are shedding like that. The cashmere literature says they start shedding their cashmere when the days start to get longer, that's in late January.

11. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    A lot of mine are shedding too...

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have shedders too. I brush my goaties regularly and noticed in the past week or so they are really losing tons of undercoat. It's normal this time of year for some to start shedding. They've always done it and I have never had a goat get too cold because of it.

I would just keep an eye on her and if she seems to be chilled, put a coat on her, like you said.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacey, most all my Cashmere goats have shed all of their cashmere. I do believe it is also because some days we are in the 60's so they are thinking spring, but then a storm comes in and gets cold as ever. I have several of my goats that are loosing ALL their hair again. They do this every year. Several are down to the bare skin. As it stays cold, I will have to blanket them. I have bought a foal blanket and modified it to fit them.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never had anyone shed out before July! :shocked: So this is a true shocker for me.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Here are some pictures of the bag of the sunshine pellets. The Blue Seal site really bites on giving info about their products.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh....I'm so happy that other goats are shedding like crazy! This is my first year with the boys and one of my boys is shedding so bad......it is his wooly undercoat coming out like crazy......he to rubs it all over the fence. When the vet was out Saturday I asked him about it and he said it's normal for this time of the year, but I was worried because Elwood looks awful! Ok.....I am not the most experienced goat mom and I thought maybe it was mites or lice causing it, but I didn't see any..... I dusted both boys with DE just in case. :roll:

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey I think that is great that you thought about dusting them. :hi5: Comb them out. Use a dog undercoat comb, they will love you for it. They are rubbing on the fence because it itches and they want it off. Yes it is still cold but it will come off one way or another and I would rather not have my goats tear up the fence.

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I went and bought a rake like comb to pull it out and it works great, but Elwood hates being combed.....Jake will stand there all day and let me.....not Elwood! Hubby is going to hold him for me this week and let me comb him out....we haven't missed with them to much the past couple of days since they are just getting over being sick.....except for giving them lots of loving.....I swear my boys do not know they are goats....they think they are lap dogs....they fight over who gets to be in my lap and they are now hitting about 50lbs!

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well with her being preggy and loosing all this fluff and the temps are to turn cold again after 40-60 degree days for a week. So Her previous owner is sending me a blanket for her. :thumb:

Attached Files:

20. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    This is exactly what is happening to all 3 of my girls. It started immediately after the drop dead cold weather we had in January . . . when it started to turn more mild in February. They seem absolutely fine otherwise.