Lola Shedding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Feb 10, 2009.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ashley...I use that very thing on mine! Worked great for adding some weight to my boys while in rut an it has lots of extra good stuff in it like yeast and "yogurt cultures".

Stacey....Lola is being a normal goatie :greengrin: Even though we think it' too early....the longer days is whats doing it, not neccessarily the warmer temps, you should see my Binky and Chief....they look awful with all that white fluff hanging on black coats. Lola will be fine, she has a nice warm place to sleep if it gets too awful cold.....and the option of a "coat" too.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ugh! it's snowing now :GAAH:

thanks Liz, Beth emailed, coat is in the mail. Happends her goats are shedding now too. None of my other girls are shedding :shrug:

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Liz: he he I love the smell of the Sunshine pellets.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unfortunatly not only is she loosing her undercoat she is loosing her hair to. :(

It isnt really bad yet and the nights dont go much below freezing and days are sunny and in the 40's most of the time so we are good still.

Coat should arrive tomorrow so I am glad for that.

Attached Files:

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Hmmm.....I have girls losing their cashmere fluff but they always seem to lose it about now. But I have an oberhasli yearling as well that is doing what Lola is doing, I've noticed she's losing her fluff the past couple days and this morning I noticed that she's losing hair as well. Another one of my ober yearlings is losing hair as well(she doesn't have any fluff to lose though) I checked them both for lice and they don't have any, and they are getting plenty of minerals and their hair isn't thinning so I'm really not sure whats going on. They aren't shivering though.

I think that warm up last week has something to do with it though.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    maybe ... but none of the others are shedding in any way. I keep checking. :shrug:

7. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Yup. It's the SAME exact thing Kadabra is doing right now! I read one article that said stress would do it, too, but that if it is stress, it will usually come out in different 'patterns' (for instance, not on both sides in a similar 'pattern,' but more on one side than the other) and that it is usually on the back and not much in other areas. So far, Kadabra's hair seems to be coming out mainly on her back, and it is almost down to the skin too.... not just fuzz coming out anymore! she does have a REALLY thick winter coat otherwise, and she definitely could be pregnant, too, so I wonder if it could be something with the thyroid and stress or something... maybe they need more iodine/salt?

8. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....mine has lost all his undercoat and now hair is shedding and he is a wether! My other boy is not loosing anything that I can tell.....also the one loosing hair, his skin is dry and flaky.....I went and bought Aloe Vera juice yesterday (he's not much into it though)....I try and make sure both boys get a little of loose minerals everyday......I am at a loss.... :shrug:

9. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Well, mine all have access to Purina's goat block, which is solid but kinda crumbly and easy for them to eat (they love it), AND they have a mineral feeder and a soda feeder that they have ready access to all of the time. I honestly don't think it's a mineral thing. From what I've read, a mineral deficiency will cause the hair to come out in a pattern that looks the same on both sides. It will also be on the head, stomach, back, and extremities--everywhere.

Here are mineral quantities:

Goat Block
    Purina Mills,LLC

Ingredients:

Wheat Middlings, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Salt, Distillers Dried Grains with solubles, Molasses, Canola Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Ground Corn, Ground Soybean Hulls, Bentonite, Monocalcium Phosphate, Sun Cured alfalfa Meal, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin D3, Supplelment, Sodium Molybdate, Calcium Iodate, Ferrous Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite. Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal-free.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min)
    18.00%
    Crude Fat (min)
    2.00%

Crude Fiber (max)
    8.00%
    Calcium (Ca) (min)
    3.20%

Calcium (Ca) (max)
    4.20%
    Phosphorus (min)
    1.00%

Salt (NaCl) (min)
    10.00%
    Salt (NaCL) (max)
    12.00%

Sodium (Na) (min)
    4.50%
    Sodium (Na) (max)
    5.50%

Copper (Cu) (min)
    50.00 ppm
    Copper (Cu) (max)
    55.00 ppm

Iodine (I) (min)
    10.00 ppm
    Selenium (Se) (min)
    1.00 ppm

Selenium (Se) (max)
    1.10 ppm
    Zinc (Zn) (min)
    170.00 ppm

Vitamin A (min)
    20000.00 IU/lb
    Vitamin D3 (min)
    1000.00 IU/lb

And then for the mineral mix I use:

Purina Goat Minerals

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
    Calcium, (Ca) Min 9.00 %
    Calcium, (Ca) Max 11.00 %
    Phosphorus, (P) Min 8.00 %
    Salt, (NaCI) Min 41.00 %
    Salt, (NaCI) Max 45.00 %
    Potassium, (K) Min 0.10 %
    Magnesium, (Mg) Min 1.00 %
    Copper, (Cu) Min 1,750.00 ppm
    Copper, (Cu) Max 1,800.00 ppm
    Selenium, (Se) Min 25.00 ppm
    Zinc, (Zn) Min 7,500.00 ppm
    Vitamin A Min 140,000.00 IU/lb
    Vitamin D Min 11,000.00 IU/lb
    Vitamin E Min 750.00 IU/lb

Ingredients
    Salt, Dicalcium phosphate, Calcium carbonate, Molasses products, Mineral oil, Magnesium oxide, Copper sulfate, Zinc oxide, Vitamin E supplement, Ferric oxide, Manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, Cobalt carbonate, Calcium iodate, Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Sodium molybdate, Vitamin D³ supplement, Manganous oxide, Ferrous carbonate, Zinc sulfate, Fenugreek flavoring, Sodium selenite.

Now, they do have free access to hay and fresh water. And they do get their grain every day (usually 2 times a day) which is Purina Goat Chow mixed with alfalfa pellets, wild bird seed, BOSS, millet, safflower, oats, and a little wheat germ and shredded beet pulp.

They ALL recently had some nutri-drench; I was drenching mommies before delivery and everyone else begged for a share. Other than that, the only 'change' around here has been weather shifts and the addition of another goat almost 2 months ago. I do tend to lean toward 'stress' as being an issue, due to shifting herd leadership. It must be very stressful for the 'lead' goat to be challenged, and Kadabra has certainly been challenged by the new addition...

angie

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Stacey,

My Blanca went completely bald and then grew her summer coat - and it was chilly out. I kept a heat light out and she did real well. She hasn't started it yet this year, but I don't think that she is pregnant yet either.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    snow and rain tonight ---- so glad the coat is to arrive today.

As to everyone else experiencing this -- crazy huh!

I have used purina minerals in the past, I really liked how well my goats did on it. NOw I have southern states Top CHoice goat mineral. As to Lola - I only had her 20 days when I noticed the shedding.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Spice is starting to shed her cashmere fluff too. I hope it means winter is over! lol

13. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Could your barn/pen area be warmer than the one she came from? Your goats are all healthy and well-cared for, I'd let Mother Nature make the call on this one. Putting a coat on her and keeping her artificially warm, unless it really goes below freezing, may confuse the issure.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    only in the minutest sense could it be warmer. She came from the same state only an hour and 40 minutes drive (less how the crow flies) north of me. Maybe a degree or two warmer.

Saw another post about loosing hair -- I am going to give her some calcium.

15. deenak

deenak Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    One of our younger wethers Lorenzo is doing the shedding thing too. I brought him the house and put him on a sheet in the middle of the kitchen table to check for lice but I couldn't find a thing. None of the other goats are going through this but the weather had been crazy 0 one day and up to 60 the next few days back and forth. I was going to take him down to Iowa State but if lots of others are having the same problem I will wait. The last time I took a goat over there it turned out to be lice, how embarassing I thought for sure that she had some exotic goat disease. I think everyone has spring fever!

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Miss Lola :love:

[attachment=1:1ruzp7lf]The girls Feb 23rd 023.jpg[/attachment:1ruzp7lf]

You can see her skin :( but the coat seems to be working

Attached Files:

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    She looks quite spiffy in her blue coat :thumbup: , she and my Elwood would make a cute couple with their coats on.......I bought a coat from Hoeggers for him and it was worth every penny......he is toastie warm....no more shivering, now if his hair would just hurry up and grow back! :GAAH:

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    tonight it is down to 28 degrees with a wind chill of 20 tomorrow is to be worse. High at noon of 32 degrees with a windchill of 19! She was already shivering tonight :(

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Hey Stacey..... don't know what kind of coat you have on her, but it has been getting down to the low teens here at night and Elwood is doing great with this coat from Hoeggers......it is so, so warm......I had it next day mailed to me, it costed me but well worth it, I went ahead and bought two coats just in case I should need another and since I was paying for the next day shipping......I can tell first thing when I go out at about 7:30a.m. and he gets up and starts moving around he seems a bit cold, but the minute he starts eating and gets his first drink of very warm water, he is fine and I don't notice any shivering all day.....when I first put it on him he just had this aaahhhh that feels good look and reaction. Hey another idea, before the coat arrived and he was freezing, I took one of my turtlenecks and thermal shirt and cut them down and sewed them together.....I am not a seamstress at all, but it worked good until the coat arrived, maybe put something on under the coat....I cut the belly out of the shirts so he wouldn't urinate on them.
    Keep Lola warm, Denise

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry didnt respond to your question before :oops: she has a dog coat. Realy nicely made

As to her today - took the coat off as it is close to 70 today. she has clumps of hair that shed out while the coat was on. So I brushed them off. As I pet her hair just comes off in clumps. She still has hair left but it is thinning really bad.

I never started her on the Aloe juice - I know I know my bad - so she starts that today. I did give her some fastrack gel before for a couple days though.

She seems fine otherwise, i just think with all this fluctuating weather it messed with her body. We NEVER get such warm days like this in Feb so it is a really strange winter.

she is looking such a dull orange :( I cant wait for her new coat to come in :leap: