Lola Shedding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, Feb 10, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like she is doing the exact thing Elwood is....it was warm enough yesterday that I took his coat off and brushed him out and put the other new coat on so I could wash his...then spent an hour cleaning goat hair out of my washing machine :hair: !!!!!..could not believe the hair that was stuck to the underside of his blue coat.......he is getting all new hair growth thank goodness, his skin is still a bit flaky.

2. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    I still think lola is a beautiful color, I bet she'll look fantastic by spring, she just got sick of winter a little earlier than the rest of us!

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    They were getting ready for summer and trying to hurry it up. They wanted full body tans. :shades:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well she doenst look good right now color wise, but she rubbed against the fence all day to get rid of the loose hair so she just has a thin layer left. Put her coat back on because it is now going to get cold again. :GAAH:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she was shivering pretty bad today when I went out for the night feeding. So I moved some things around and she is now in where I keep my feed. It is just a fenceline awayfrom the other goats. She wasnt to happy but I need to keep her warm. I may add a companion for her tonight - Angie would be my choice they seem to get along well together. I put her in there because I am afraid she is getting kicked out of the barn. Poor thing is close to bald so she doesnt need to get chilled

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey....poor Lola, I just hate seeing them shivering......Elwood was a little last night so I put down extra straw and I went out and put a milkhouse heater on the outside of the pen faced inward, but then I worried about it all night.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    tomorrow is to have a high with the windchill of 5 degrees!!! So she is separated with Angie in the back as far away from the doorway as possible. This weather makes me so angry :veryangry:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    weather is crazy this year. Warmed up got cold, snowed, warmed up, goat cold, warmed up again!

So checked Miss Lola over today and we have a winter coat growing! I didnt expect this at all. There is a little bit of fluff starting to grow and she is looking better already I am super excited. This is good because her coat is getting a bit snug :shades:

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Good to hear it's coming back. A few questions: Was it hair loss all over? What did you give her? Did you end up giving the calcium and aloe vera juice? Thanks!

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She was loosing hair all over yes. If you looked at her from a far she didnt look like she was hairless but if you got close you could see her skin through teh little bit of hair she had left. She lost hair on her back legs as well. Skin was flaking pretty bad.

All I did to "treat" her was give aloe juice and put a blanket on her. I never did end up giving her calcium.

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Stacey....I know I have said this before, my Elwood did the exact same thing as Lola.....even the hair loss on back legs and very flaky skin, he is starting to get a nice coat back to......however he loss the hair around his eyes really bad, I talked to the vet and he is having me give Elwood a human zinc tablet every other day....I can not remember where I read about a herd of goats loosing the hair around their eyes and it was a zinc def......so I guess that is what my vet is thinking also. I'm also going to try some new minerals, what minerals do you like best?
    Denise

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well there are a few I like Sweet Lix meat maker, Purina Goat Minerals, Top Choice goat Minerals by Southern states.

Lola never really lost it around her eyes. :shrug:

13. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    cdtrum, is the dose 50 mg on the Zinc tablet? Thanks.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Laura.......Yes, they are 50mg.......however I have been breaking them in half and giving him half every other day....I was a little afraid of giving him a whole one.....Elwood is a pygmy and is kinda small. I have to say his skin is looking much better! He still has a little dandruff, but I think it is just taking time for all the flaky skin to get out of his coat. My vet and I spoke over the phone about Elwood and decided to try the zinc tablets before getting into any testing......I also read somewhere that males and dark colored goats seem to lack zinc more than others, Elwood is both those.