The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, got a off the wall question about breeding. I only have two does that we recently got, and have already confirmed one is on a 17 day (very short 24hr) cycle and our other is on a 21 day (36hr) cycle. So yay on figuring out the riddle, boo on having the bucks be an hr drive away and not have the convenience of them going in heat at the same time ;)

So question, do you think they would be okay by themselves while the other is at the breeders (goat camp) for a few (2-4) days? Or would that possibly put too much stress on them and be best if we took both and kept them there until they are both done with their cycles?

This is the last chance to get these girls bred this month. One we caught at the end of her cycle so not sure if she took. The other seemed to have been bred in early November but went into heat again and was successfully bred this last time as well so who knows (Put both dates in calendar).

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
Try taking one away for a short time and see how the other one does. If they aren't too worried about being separated you're probably fine, but if they get stressed and worried I would take both. Some goats handle solitude better than others.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try taking one away for a short time and see how the other one does. If they aren't too worried about being separated you're probably fine, but if they get stressed and worried I would take both. Some goats handle solitude better than others.
From the first day we got them, they only make noise when they are separated. I need to trim their hoofs so maybe I'll do it where they can't see each other to see how load they'll get.

They are very close, until they are eating ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it looks like I'm taking both. Separated them for 5mins and I have never heard them get that load.
Breeder doesn't mind because she charges a boarding fee for both, which is totally fine. It's just the last time they were gone 4 days and came back huge. Gave them baking soda and went back to normal size thankfully overnight. This time they will be gone for 9 days.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'd find a different breeder if they don't care for the does any better than that. OR...send some baking soda to put in the pen with them free choice....
Sending some baking soda is a good idea. She takes good care of her animals, my husband was pretty impressed with their setup, which is why I call it goat camp lol. I think it's more the girls being little piggies.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Sending some baking soda is a good idea. She takes good care of her animals, my husband was pretty impressed with their setup, which is why I call it goat camp lol. I think it's more the girls being little piggies.
Hehe...yep a change of feed and them being pigs will do it too. I would send the baking soda then

1 - 11 of 11 Posts