The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced , used this product? I am trying to research this product for possible use . Regular ivermectin , dosages I have found are 1cc per 40 lbs. with heavy infestations 1 cc per 30 lbs., but I can't seem to find dosages for the La version. We prefer to use sub q. We feel this method is more useful since matrocylic lac tones attach to feed. We would prefer results which have had microscopic scrutiny.

·
Administrator
84,683 Posts
I have to ask the same question, what Ivomec?

Also, it is best to give wormers to goats orally, unless, they are anemic, then it is best to give SQ, goats systems are slower and to kill worms properly, it must be given orally under most circumstances. ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I haven't seen that sold in the U.S. I read about it more than 5 years ago when it was being tested on Cattle out of country.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has anyone experienced , used this product? I am trying to research this product for possible use . Regular ivermectin , dosages I have found are 1cc per 40 lbs. with heavy infestations 1 cc per 30 lbs., but I can't seem to find dosages for the La version. We prefer to use sub q. We feel this method is more useful since matrocylic lac tones attach to feed. We would prefer results which have had microscopic scrutiny.
This product is used extensively in other countries & is well thought of.it is available on line from several sources. Made by a couple of companies as well as I can understand. We have been using ivermectin almost since it came on the market in 1983 on our horses& dogs.we have never used it on goats, but we are always looking for better ways & more efficient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This product is used extensively in other countries & is well thought of.it is available on line from several sources. Made by a couple of companies as well as I can understand. We have been using ivermectin almost since it came on the market in 1983 on our horses& dogs.we have never used it on goats, but we are always looking for better ways & more efficient.
One place it's available is Richmond vet pharma. Bovicine max posted dose is 1 ml per 50 kg. it's also made in China, but I don't trust their integrity. Reading about the history of ivermectin is very interesting. I am new to the Internet so am finding new info challenging at times .we still have have to spend most of our waking hours working on the farm so time is limited for Internet study.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One place it's available is Richmond vet pharma. Bovicine max posted dose is 1 ml per 50 kg. it's also made in China, but I don't trust their integrity. Reading about the history of ivermectin is very interesting. I am new to the Internet so am finding new info challenging at times .we still have have to spend most of our waking hours working on the farm so time is limited for Internet study.
In reply to Toth boar goats ,I read as I said earlier that Ivermectin
once attaches to feed & is flushed with the feed through the system faster when fed orally.it lasts longer sub q. It is absorbed by fat & the liver & releases slowly.

·
Registered
31,505 Posts
First I heard of a long acting Ivomec product too however, Goat metabolism is faster then cows and so a long lasting wormer may not be as effective...you maybe spending more on a medication that works just as well as plain ol" Ivomec ...Also consider what worms it deal with...Only Ivomec Plus and Valbazen address Liver fluke...if that is a concern in your neck of the woods...My thought is if I have to worm..Im giving a good broad spectrum wormer to cover more bases...

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
First I head of a long acting Ivomec product too however, Goat metabolism is faster then cows and so a long lasting wormer may not be as effective...you maybe spending more on a medication that works just as well as plain ol" Ivomec ...Also consider what worms it deal with...Only Ivomec Plus and Valbazen address Liver fluke...if that is a concern in your neck of the woods...My thought is if I have to worm..Im giving a good broad spectrum wormer to cover more bases...
And both should not be given to pregos ;)

·
Registered
31,505 Posts

·
Registered
31,505 Posts
Liver fluke eggs and Barpole egg can look simular..regular Ivomec will not work on liver fluke..only clorsulon, the medication in Iv. Plus and Valbazen kills liver fluke...this is one reason some believe ivomec no longer works..they are treating the wrong worm...thinking its barpole worm , Ivomec should work..when it doesnt they blame the medication when in fact its Liverfluke they see under the microscope...;) just a thought...

·
Administrator
84,683 Posts
In reply to Toth boar goats ,I read as I said earlier that Ivermectin
once attaches to feed & is flushed with the feed through the system faster when fed orally.it lasts longer sub q. It is absorbed by fat & the liver & releases slowly.
I have to again disagree, sorry.

By the way, I don't have pigs, LOL, I have boer goats, not boar pigs. ;)

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
By the way, I don't have pigs, LOL, I have boer goats, not boar pigs. ;)
Insert funny non-insulting joke about wide short legged Boers here :D
Sorry Pam, couldn't resist.

I can't see any way that long acting wormer would work properly in goats. The metabolism of the goat would burn it down more quickly and the half doses in the system would cause drug resistance when new worms hatched and were exposed to that small amount. We already have widespread resistance to Ivermectin in many places. I would hate to see it get even worse.

·
1,524 Posts
If you have slugs, snails, damp areas and/or deer, then you might have liver flukes. Those are the cause of my worst worming problem. The eggs, when they show up, look so close to the HC/Barberpole worm that you really have to look closely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts