longest kidding

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jdgray716, Dec 29, 2010.

1. What is the longest you have waited to have kids hit the ground? :hair:

2. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Im not much help havnt been doing this long. But I had a doe go all through the night and stream all the next day. She didnt deliver till about 9 that night but she did have problems to and the baby was stuck and had to be pulled. Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear but that is what I have dealt with here.

3. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    All of mine have kidded fairly quickly once they went into labor....probably an hour or so. But I notice a BIG difference when I keep them way up on their minerals, vitamins, supplements, etc. I REALLY stay on top of their copper & selenium & free choice minerals plus sea kelp and they've kidded pretty effortlessly so far the last 3 years. (knock on wood).

**Edited - I say an hour because some of my girls have this "wonderful" game of staring innocently at me when I come out in the pouring down rain, in my PJ's w/a flashlight @ 3am to check on them...they all look peacefully up at me with those sleepy eyes, so after about 20 mins of monitoring I go inside to "sleep" (yeah right)... then an hour later I go back out and Poof! the doe is laying down pushing out the last kid or standing over freshly kidded happy healthy babies! ARGHHHH!! I swear they watch me leave and then turn to eachother and say..."Hey ladies, she's gone now...lets all start pushing!" :GAAH:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With each of mine....I wait and watch for the entire "thinking about it, gearing up to do it, definately ready to go" phase so it makes for a very long wait!
    Normally from the start of serious pushing to seeing that first bubble takes 5-10 minutes, once that bubble appears kids are on the ground within 5 minutes. My Angel is the exception though...previous 2 deliveries she wasnt doing the normal gearing up my others do, she literally just sat down and pushed...2 kids within 2 minutes both times!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    JD... are you meaning in gestation days or when they actually start to kid?

6. lol sorry it took so long. I was talking days. For some reason I thought I remember someone saying 171 days here but I am thinking it was maybe 161 now, Sorry for the confusion.

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I had one that went over 160, I don't remember what day for sure, just that she went a few days over 160.

8. It may have been 161 I was thinking. LOL I said 171 on another group and everyone tought I was nuts. LOL It's beem a while though so I may have remembered wrong.

9. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I have Nigerians... 147-150 days...usually right on 150 for us here....had one go 151 last year....

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I hand bred all my does for last years kidding so I had the bred date, and most all my does drove me totally crazy :hair: they went between 162-166 days. I kept going back and double checking the dates to make sure I had the due date correct.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    NP... :wink: :laugh:

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    My earliest was day 147 & her sister about 112 or so.... no thats not typo just exasperation.
    Last yr Lela had a puny boy out in pasture I chewed her out brought her & kid in. Decided might as well round up a few more for the kidding pens. Turned around she delivered two more, this was a whole 2hrs after the 1st one & no assist. The buckling was maybe 5lbs but the others a few lbs bigger.

13. Thanks at least I was not that far off. lol