Look at what I might be getting!

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by Crissa, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well I put out "feelers" to see if I could find a registered doeling to add to my herd since I'm selling Heidi. And look what I found! What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh my goodness! I love her!!! Look at those markings! And a nice topline and gorgeous legs! I REALLY like her! Hope everything works out and you can get her! So pretty! :love:

3. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I would need to see dam's udder and sire's dam's udder before passing full judgement, but her chine looks weak to me, she could be longer in body, less ear control, maybe a tad more angulation. Nice rump.

4. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    She is too adorable, I love her! I would get her if I were you. :) :love:

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    She's beautiful! I like Heidi too though. Love those spots!

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I've seen the dam's udder (still need to see the sire's dams though) but they don't have any pics of the dam's udder due to selling her. I liked her udder. It was smoothed in the fore maybe could stand a better medial but all the attachments looked pretty good. :thumb:

Heidi's okay, but I would like a registered doe, I know I could NOA her but I want a better quality doe. And I don't have the room to keep her AND another doe if I want to keep any doelings at all.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Oh, she's not registered? Well you could get the new doe and keep her too? Wait, that sounds like something I'd do. :ROFL:

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I like the spots! Can I ask what is meant by ear control? I really don't know much about Nubian's.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

now wait a minute im looking at two different animals here, are you getting the buck or the doe kid? In the first picture there is definalty an extra part on "her" look at the belly. on the buck kid i like his topline but he is posty and short bodied. the doe kid is very posty and steep rumped, she is longer in the body but there is very little brisket there, her legs are set too far foreward.
    beth

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    No it's the same kid, I asked. She just has a swirl right there from her navel. She's only 7 weeks old.

Ear control means that they move their ears around easily. That's one of the things I don't like about Heidi and Lyrae. They can control their ears a LOT while Lyric has very little ear control. I'm not too good at explaining this.

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I really like the ears on this doeling you're looking at. I would agree, lack of movement would be from longer and heavier ears which would be a good thing for the breed.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

hmm she looks so different between to the two pictures, the spot on her chest is gray in the first and then white in the second, her body apears to have gotten longer, and the rump steeper. maybe they were taken at different times.
    I dont care for her much other then her color, she is weak in the chine, a little steep and posty.
    she has a nice head and long ears. I dont know, i guess it really depends on how much she is and whot her lines consist of. and hat you are looking to do with her. I always tell people to buy the best they can afford. Its going to pay off in the long run.
    beth

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Well, I think it's just the way she's standing that she looks weak in the chine and everything. And one picture is of her left side while the other is her right side so she probably just has different colored spots on either side of her chest.
    I think she has decent ears maybe could be somewhat better but I wouldn't say bad at all. And she comes from Goldthwaite lines. (which I've heard are good anyways)

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

goldthwaite has some excellent animals. do you have a pedigree for her? What are her parents names? Im just extremely picky about animals, i think its because i maintain sucha small herd. It costs the same amount to feed an animal thats going to win in the show ring as it does to place at the bottem of the class. so i strive for the top of the class animals.
    beth

15. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I am going to have to agree with sparks879. It would be better buy better quality now, or later, then to buy this kid now. There are good breeders near you that have nice for sale as well (Dillls has two nice doelings cheap). I think she is an okay kid, but if you are looking for show quality then she is not it.

16. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Ok. This is not my goat, I've never met the breeder or the OP and have no opinion one way or the other on this Nubian. That said....I think it's time to point out the obvious here. I can't see how anyone on this board can look at those photos and tell this girl (Crissa) that the goat she has chosen is not now, nor will ever be a show quality goat. Are there any disqualifying faults glaring back at us from those photos? If you say that judging from this photo, the goat has a weak chine, that's not the same as "if you are looking for show quality she's not it." Maybe she is. Maybe she's not. Maybe she's a late bloomer. Maybe set up better, she's a lovely doeling right now. How many of us with websites walk right outside, set up a goat, snap a photo and never take a 2nd? My goodness, when I need to get a photo of a goat, it takes 3 tries just to get one that isn't blurry, let alone set up and polished. How many of us have ever said, or believed breeders who say "this photo does not do this doe justice"? Happens all the time.

I've been to a two or three ring show where the same kid, in the same ring, on the same day, with the same handler placed both FIRST and nearly LAST in a large class. Is it because neither judge knew what they were doing? I doubt that. They were both very experienced and well liked judges. It's because judging is subjective. Goats have good days and bad days as do exhibitors and judges. Some judges seem to feel one strength or weakness should be a deal-breaker while the next judge sees something else in that goat entirely. If everybody who has ever attended a show or audited a judges training or even obtained a license could look at a photo of a goat and tell a buyer where that goat would place in every ring for the entire length of it's showing career, there would really be no reason for anybody to ever walk into a ring, would there? And if you have ever spent a small fortune buying a goat off a beautiful set-up photo and a flashy pedigree only to get that goat home and see an entirely different (crappy) animal, you would understand what I mean. Please, let's try not to get too carried away. Sometimes a picture is just a picture.

Kristen

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im not saying she isnt going to be show quality, im just pointing out what i dont like about her. I would be interested to see the pedigree on the animal. of course you cant judge a goat by a couple of photos and as a kid. However like i said i maintain a very samll herd, i dont have the room for a doe whom one i cant sell kids out of or two isnt producing. I am very picky about kids that i pick up.
    You are definatly right about placings, she can place dead last in one ring and then first or second in the next ring, its all in the matter of opinion from the judge and who else happens to be in the ring with you.
    im sorry if i offended you.
    beth

18. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I strongly agree w/ bigoakfarm. Not trying to be rude, sparks879, but when you came on here you thought these were 2 different animals. I don't see how you can sit here and judge this goat on 2 pictures noticing how the goat in each picture was different and which was better. "you cant judge a goat by a couple of photos and as a kid", but this is exactly what you're doing.

Crissa, if you feel this is the goat for you and this is what you've been looking for, go for it. When she's a little older, if she hasn't grown into what you thought she should be, i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to sell her for the same $$$. She is a really good looking doe in my opinion.

19. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I actually already contacted Dill's but they have a guy who's buying all of their doelings. :(

And I'm not offended at all. I asked for opinions on her and I got them. I have another doeling I'm going to look at to see if I like her any better. But they have to snail mail me the pics. But I'm pretty sure that I will probably be getting this doeling. :wink: And once we get the land we're hoping to get I'll be able to expand my herd with better goats. (hopefully from Dill's)

20. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I think you will be very happy with her! And I hope everything works out with the expansion, that sounds really exciting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.