The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. After lurking a while I finally signed up today. I plan to adopt a Pygmy or dwarf nubian from a nearby farm either in VA or MD. (I live in the DC area)

Are they both good for milk? That is part of my expectation from my future goat. (But I don't want them for meat)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I milk my Pygmy and it's some of the most creamy delicious goat milk you'll ever taste. Pygmies have exceptionally high butter fat content and my girl gives a quart a day. There is a catch, though. Pygmies have TINY teats and are very difficult to milk. Since the breed standard for teat size is two finger widths long you can't milk the "right" way. I had to develop my own style of milking using two fingers and thumb, and it still makes my hands cramp! Even the smallest milker cups don't fit right, so automatic milkers or pump milkers won't work. Gotta do it by hand.

Good news is it's totally worth it, though. ;)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I love pygmies! I have two myself. But I also love my Nigerian Dwarfs. They also have a very high butter fat, larger teats, and fun colors. Mini nubians are pretty much the same. I have milked pygmies before, and it's not bad, though the Nigerian Dwarfs larger teats are easier on my hands.

Also, make sure to get at least two goats :)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Go for best of both worlds and get a Pygerian (Pygmy/Nigerian Dwarf cross). Bigger teats and longer body capacity (better for kidding) but with the cute stocky Pygmy characteristics, too. In fact, most unpapered "Pygmies" are actually Nigerian crosses of some sort. Registered Pygmies are fairly rare outside of a few areas like Southern California where the biggest breeders are. Nigerian Dwarves are readily available in most places since they are classified as dairy goats, whereas Pygmies are currently an "ornamental" breed (they were originally considered dual purpose and were used for meat and milk in Africa, but we Americans don't eat cute animals. ;) ).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts