Look who I brought home last night!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by minibarn, Nov 23, 2010.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    2 grade pygmy does from a nice little hobby farm. she only had them for the summer and now got a couple smaller does she likes better so she had advertised these on kijiji. she says they're just a year old and not bred...BUT...the pic she used to advertise them also showed a buck in with them. buck had his nose at elizabeth's hind end in the pic. i questioned her a few times on that buck but she said 'oh no, he didn't breed them, she got rid of him again 'cause of the smell'.
    when i was checking out their teats emily's udder seemed sorta loose but elizabeth's was tight up against her body. emily also seems more filled out. what are your thots on whether or not they're bred? also emily seems like she could be well over a year old maybe 2? i also have a daughter named emily so i'm trying come up with a new name for the goat that sounds similiar. any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. if they were running witha buck there is NO WAY she can say they were not bred!
    Sorry I'm not good at the pooch test, but I think your gonna have to get a little closer for someone to be able to tell?

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Emily is bred...and she's at least 3, maybe 4 years old...look at her face, she has the mature look of an older doe. Even 2 year olds still have a "childish" look to them, Em does not. The horn size is also what I go by, "Lizzy" is a minimum of 2 years, her horn growth is comparable to my almost 3 year old nigi/pygmy Bailey.
    NEVER assume a doe is open especially if they are penned with a buck, especially the mini breeds that breed year round.
    With Em, I'd guess that there could be kids by the end of February....Elizabeth, assuming she is preggy, go by the last time the buck was with them and you may see kids 5 months or less from that date.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Liz.... :wink:

Nice Does by the way.... :thumb:

5. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Well I guess you cant trust that breeder! Very pretty girls anyway. Good luck with the surprise kids! P.S. Emily looks like a Pepper or a Lady to me.

6. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    You could just name her Mama.... They are both really cute! My daughter's name is Millie... that's kinda like emily!

7. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    my daughter emily actually suggested 'millie'. another idea i had was 'ellie'. any more suggestions are welcome. :chin:
    the pics got a little blurry when i resized them.
    i agree emily has a mature look about her. elizabeth's horns are the same size but she definitely seems younger and gives in to emily. i guess we'll watch for heats. if they come in we'll breed them to our buck.
    they're both very friendly and i love them already! :love:

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If they don't show signs of coming in ... here is a tip... :wink:

Watch and feel.... their udders... if they start to fill....you will know..... they have a month....month and a 1/2 to go.....to drop their kids... unless... they fill at the last minute... as some do.... that is a bummer.... when they do that... then the kidding judgment is thrown off... Also look at their vulva's for sloppyness...stretching...that is another sign they are getting closer... look for any changes and behavior... ... :wink:

9. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    well, it turns out both these girls came into heat! so i guess the lady i bought them from really did know they were still open. now they've both been bred by my buck so we'll be looking for babies may 8! :leap:

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Wow Congrats! So glad you were able to breed them to your guy, and you'll know when to expect kids!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is so cool...congrats.... :cool: .... it is a long wait .....but is so ...worth it.... :wink: :greengrin: :thumb: