The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ms. Peggy Sue is coming up on breeding time again and this time she'd like a boyfriend with a little more style and class. :cool:

We're looking for a registered Pygmy buck in the Central GA or Middle TN area that Peg can go a'courtin' with in July or August. She's a grey aguti, but any recognized color without too many flaws is fine, we don't show Peg, but want the option for her kids. We are breeding for size, so the smaller the better! So much so that if yer buck is tiny and "purebred but not registered" we want to hear from you. ;)

I have a tiny herd and Peg is actually a house pet (though she is aware that some goats live outside in barns) so my goats are all disease free. I am happy to have her tested, though, and would prefer her new gentleman friend be from a tested herd as well. Peggy Sue DOES HAVE HORNS. I've heard that some Pygmy breeders won't put their bucks in with horned does so I'm letting you know up front.

If you've got a little guy who fits the bill let me know! :thankU:

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Awhh little Peggy needs a boyfriend :p

Just curious, why won't some breeders breed with horned? I thought horns were kind of a breed standard with Pygmys, like boers?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent question!

There isn't actually a breed standard for horns on Pygmies; you can show horned or disbudded and no points attach unless the horns don't conform to breed standard. In my experience, though, does are almost universally disbudded. Bucks can go either way.

When I lived in California (where I adopted Peggy Sue) I was encouraged by the breeder to disbud because most of the area breeders wouldn't put their Bucks in with a horned doe due to risk of injury. Here on the East Coast more ppl seem to have natural minis, so I'm hoping the horns won't cause issue.

Now if I could just find a registered Pygmy breeder! :D

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Ahhh, okay, thanks for that explanation. :D I can somewhat understand that, Pygmys have some big sharp-lookin horns

1 - 6 of 6 Posts