Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by noblehillfarm, Mar 22, 2010.

1. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    I am a new member and want to thank you for reading this. I have a 6 mos old Lamancha wether. He started holding his neck arched and had a fever of 105.I took him to the vets of course they couldnt find anything, well that got better now he cant use either hind leg. He pulls them away when I squeeze them but cant stand up. He has been down for 3 weeks tho his appetite and attitude are great. My vet has run a CBC and profile tested for CAE , Cryptococcus and done full body xrays with no back or neck issues. He is not painful any where and no sign of trauma.I am at a loss any ideas?

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

3. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks for the respose we did treat him for Minigeal worm he had Injectable as well as oral Ivomec and Panacur just in case but no improvement

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you give him injections in his back? could you have hit some nerves?

will he stand if you make him?

5. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    He has never had shots in his back . Originally he would stand but sway with his backend but now he cant bare any weight at all but doesnt seem painful when I pick him up to a standing position and support his backend weight.The vet is at a total loss as to what is wrong

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    x rays dont show pinched nerves do they? A few weeks ago my 13mo old buck was swaying in the rear. Had a chiro come out it made a huge difference. See if you can feel some knots in his neck; the side his head is leaning toward.
    Push on them for several seconds with your thumb or forefinger & see what happens.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have you checked into a selenium deficiency?

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey ...could be White Muscle Disease .... give selenium, together with vitamin E....if that is the case...

From being down... he may of caught pnemonia as well... start antibiotics if he still has that high of temp..... :hug:

9. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    I really appreciate all the good advice. We have treated for white muscle and checked for copper deficiency. I am currently looking for a chiropractor in New Hampshire that will do goats. I am also going to try accupuncture. He did develop Pnemonia and was treated with LA200 and then Nuflor and Banamine and we seemed to have cleared it up.I have a dog wheelchair that he stands in to try and prevent it from reoccuring.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you certainly have done the whole gambit as the saying goes.

Hope he improves with theropy

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i shall ponder

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome...

I will pray for him that the treatment works....... :pray: :hug:

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    what about swayback?? it is caused by a copper deficiency and it generally "attacks" younger kids (3-5 months). its from alack of copper during development and can be treated with copper sulfate