Looking for examples of goat permitting in other cities

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sundari, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Can anyone share your city's permitting process as it relates to goats? Especially if you live in a city and are NOT required to get a permit!

We're making suggestions for the rewrite of the Denver zoning code. The current permitting process for goats is very extensive and very expensive, and we'd like to make it easier! Part of our task involves collecting examples of what other cities allow.

Thanks,
    Sundari

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    In Tucson there is no permit required. The only stipulations for havin goats are; the goat house must be 20' from an occupied structure and the manure must be disposed of in such a manner as to keep the smell at a reasonable level. now the ordinance's do allow for pretty much any animal in the yard, gotta watch the deed restrictions tho, the law here does state that your goat may not eat city plants :greengrin: and if you walk it you gotta clean-up after it.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The county we live in, Multnomah, allows three Pygmy goats (or other small, dwarf breed) WITHOUT a permit. Any more than three or if you keep both chickens and goats, a permit is required. I think there is something else about having their living space a certain distance from property fence line, but when the permit guy came to see ours, he said nothing of it. Oh, very important to have food in bins and up off the ground, to prevent rodent problems.

4. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I don't live in the city so I don't know of a permit though!