Looking for foot rot info

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Jul 12, 2010.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    My kids (the human ones) got the assignment to do a 4-H project on foot rot. Looking for general info, care, prevention...whatever they can learn to share with their club. Any idea where to start? Is this the website or any other recommended spots?

Thanks in advance

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Merck Vet Manual online has a good bit on hoof rot, causes, treatment etc.

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Check out Questions about CL & hoof rot on here. I think it's page three. Hoosiershadow and myself have battled it this past year. It's a pain in the butt. We have "tested" just about all the hoof products on the market. :p If you need product info and such, let us know. Hoosier even has some pictures of her goats hoof. Hope this helps.

Gina

4. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    What is CL? I don't know that accronym. Thanks

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    CL is short for Caseous Lymphademis... "Cheesy gland", it's a very nasty and contageous disease of the lymph system

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Pine tar works very well and they won't lick it off. Thick and tar like so it stays put.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree! I seriously didn't know if we'd ever get rid of it. I'm glad to say that everyone has been doing fine, and healed up. Treatment daily with Koppertox or Thrush Buster, cutting away dead tissue, keeping it CLEAN & DRY, was the biggest key. I even used hoof packs with Animalintex poultice and duct tape after applying Thrush Buster early on when it was wet and muddy outside.

Definitely check out the thread she mentioned. I had a goat with severe hoof rot that I got in early May - 1/2 her foot was gone inside after I cut the dead stuff out - she couldn't walk very well, limping badly. We sold her just last week, and you'd never have thought she was the same goat. One trim from having perfectly fine feet :)