Looking for French Alpine Buck in Montana

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ALM Capra, Nov 25, 2020.

1. ALM Capra

ALM Capra New Member

Sep 30, 2020
    Missoula, MT
    Hi, I am looking for a French Alpine buck to for breeding purposes for next fall. The buck I have used in the past is related to all my current does, so I would like to find a different gene pool. If anyone has advice or knows anyone in the Montana area, Idaho would even be acceptable. I'd appreciate it.

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Are you a member of ADGA? They publish a book every year in March (I think) listing all the names and addresses and breeds of everyone in ADGA. It is a valuable recourse to find breeders of all the different breeds in all the states (and a lot of other countries).

Craigslist is a possible area to look as well as your local vet, 4-H office, Facebook (I have heard they have a sale area, not sure, don't FB). Good luck on your search.

Be sure and whatever you get, make sure he is from a healthy herd and the dam looks good, etc. (you probably know all that!)

AlabamaGirl likes this.

3. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Welcome to TGF. I live in the Zoo too. Alpines are few and far between in our area. the folks I knew that had Alpines sold then because of health reasons. contact the 4-H office and find who runs the Goat barn at the fair they will most likely send you in the right direction.
    Hamilton fair has a good goat program too. but the Bitteroot has health issues so be carfull

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    AlabamaGirl and ksalvagno like this.