The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase 50 goats, 2 of which i'd like to be bucks. I am also looking for Kiko breed goats or possibly boer/spanish goats. These goats will be used to eat up a 10 acre forested land on our property.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Have you checked out local livestock auctions for that quantity?

50 goats is a very high stocking rate for 10 forested acres - you will need to provide a lot of supplemental hay & feed for that quanity of goats. Typical stocking rates for forest with undergrowth are somewhere around 2 goats per acre to sustain during the growing season only.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you kept goats before? 50 is a pretty big undertaking for all at once, plus once they kid your looking at around ~146 total. Don't want to discourage you or anything, it's just that they do have their quirks and have a somewhat steeper learning curve than other livestock. Plus as @SalteyLove said, that's stocking pretty heavy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have not kept goats before but are planning on hiring a part-time livestock manager to help out with this number. So 20 goats would be a more realistic number? We had a dairy goat farmer out on our land yesterday and after looking at our land he seemed to think 50 would still take quite some time to eat through our forest. It is very overgrown, so thick you cannot walk through the vast majority of the land. Also would you recommend certain breeds for meat goats? Ive heard Kiko will not get parasites but they are obviously more expensive than boer.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Kikos can and will get parasites, but they are (depending on their breeding) just less susceptible to them. Going by what I've seen, I don't think commercial Kikos are much more expensive than commercial Boers.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
May I ask, where is your property? You have, like, a REALLY large State, with a lot of variation in climate, terrain, flora.

Knowing more may help us to better help youl

Reactions: Goat_Scout

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kikos can and will get parasites, but they are (depending on their breeding) just less susceptible to them. Going by what I've seen, I don't think commercial Kikos are much more expensive than commercial Boers.
Do you know what a price range may be for commercial kikos/boers? Doe and buck price difference?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Blackwoodland, Here in north east Texas we have a couple of goat sales. One is in Emerson, Tx. I happen to have a 2 year old very nice boer blly for sale. I use him to breed 2 doe this past Fall and that all he has bred. One doe has 2 very nice doelings. The other is due in a few weeks.

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Commercial boers will be somewhere between $100 and $300 depending on where you get them and how well built they are. That is what you will find east of Houston in the Beaumont/Orange area. I don't think that your area would be much different.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Just a thought here ;) you can take it or just ignore me. Instead of hiring someone you could start out with a smaller number and slowly increase as you go......basically as you get the hang of things. Goats are not a HUGE profit and it can get eaten up pretty fast with hiring someone. Then again maybe your just looking to clear your place and move on. But if your wanting to have Goats full time start with 10 and move up as you can. I went from a few and then bought another 25 and that was so very overwhelming when it came to trimming hoofs and what not. Now I have 70, have for a few years now and it’s really no sweat to me. I have a routine when it comes to vaccines and doing feet and all the not so fun stuff. I’m sure if you went big right off the bat you could figure it out just be prepared to be overwhelmed or give your profit and maybe a bit more to someone else for help.
Just something to consider ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
OH you might call 903-667-3563, Robert and Sheron. They are breeding boer goats. I am not sure if they have any for sale other than some bucklings from this season kidding. I talked to them yesterday and they had 14 kids on the ground and another 12 does left to kid. So this might help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Than you all for the advice. And yes I agree, I think starting with a more manageable number at first is wise. And great, thank you I may give them a call. Our timeline for purchasing goats may still be a few months out. What age would you recommend for purchasing goats if we want to only worry about minimal care. Also if we purchase different ages of does for our first bunch they will most likely all get along?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'd get all 2 year olds that have kidded and are pregnant now. That is if you want the very least intervention at all. This is also probably the most upfront cost for you. You know what you are getting. so you can't bargain for any bargains that may or may not pay off for you.

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
All great advice and suggestions.

Age differences can cause issues but so can the same age ones from different places. They will establish a pecking order. Some may get hurt or worse.

You do not want to run bucks with does who are too young, they will get to bred, in which you do not want or late term pregnant does, which give off a odor making the buck think she is in season.
He will chase and try to breed her, causing her stress and she may abort.
Also a doe who just kidded can come back in season soon after and you do not want her bred back too soon.

Remember, goats multiply quickly, if you have 10, that number may double or almost triple within the first kidding season.

There is no such thing as low maintenance in goats I hate to say.
If they need things, we must give it to them or trim, vaccinate, worm, assist kidding ect.

When they browse , they may over eat and can get issues from it, from new feed to fast.
Scouring, rumen issues, bloat.
Which need immediate attention. It is not good to allow them on new feed in volume, it must slowly be introduced.
Limit time out, then gradually increase.
Also make absolutely sure what they are eating is not toxic to them.

They may still need hay.
You can't just have them on browse, if they are losing condition. They may also need a little bit of grain from time to time if you can. It balances out their diet.

Bucks need ammonium chloride to help prevent urinary stones or a 2:1 calcium/phosphorus feed ratio.

Worms and/or cocci may strike as well.
When goats get stressed or over crowded, it can strike.

Goats need loose salt and minerals with copper and selenium in it, free choice.

There is a lot involved with goats, more and more to learn.

I had 24 adult does when I first started and a 4 month old buckling, he bred them all and I was over whelmed when they kidded, they need draft free shelter for kidding and winter time.
I had to find new means to accommodate them and their new babies.
Had to build stalls all over the place and places you would never dream there would be one, LOL.

This is just some of the things, there is more, when goats are involved.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Do you know what a price range may be for commercial kikos/boers? Doe and buck price difference?
I'm not sure exactly, as I've mostly been searching for registered ones. With mature registered does, you are lucky if you find one that is $400. They are usually a good bit more. :/

In TX, I've mostly seen commercial Kiko or Boer bucks/bucklings that are between $150-$500. The does/doelings seem to start at $150 (doelings) and $250 (mature does) and go up, depending on the goat. Have you checked Craigslist? There are some nice looking ones posted there.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I talked with a friend tonight at the restaurant. He was telling me that he had some Spanish cross goats for sale. Further discussion reveal that he has several does with kids about a month old by side that he would take 200 for doe and kids sets. Not sure how many he has to sell. If you are interested let me know and I will give you his phone number. Sire of kids is a black Spanish billy. Oh yeah, since these goats are all in the same herd the pecking order has already been established.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Also if we purchase different ages of does for our first bunch they will most likely all get along?
They will fight at first of course, to establish a "pecking order", but they should get along just fine after that. The younger ones or ones lower in the pecking order will learn to stay out of the other goats' way. I have always had goats of different ages together.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts