Alaska LOOKING FOR: Polish Tatra Sheepdog (Owczarek Podhalanski)

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by Abra, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Abra

Abra Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Is there ANYONE out there who has these dogs?
    I have been searching for them everywhere, and they do not seem to exist.
    It's driving me BONKERS!
    I grew up with these dogs (I grew up in Poland), and I ADORE them. I have seen them work as a child and know how amazing they are, and how 'true' their instinct actually is. Hardly any training required when it comes to guarding, they instinctively KNOW what to do.!!!
    They are different than other LGD's, and I would LOVE to find one (or preferably 2) to bring home....
    I live in Alaska, and these guys are ideal for cold climates! :)
    I have been searching for these dogs for a couple of years now, with no result, and am talking with a breeder in Poland in hopes that I can import these amazing dogs into the states...
    If you know of ANYONE who has these dogs, please, please let me know!

Thank you!

2. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hmm ... appeals to me too as I am looking for livestock dog options. I'll see if I can find a registry or something.

3. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
  4. Abra

Abra Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Thanks. :)
    I found both those sites, but ended up hitting a dead end on both.
    I have been talking to a breeder in Poland (she is actually is listed on the above sites). I am probably going to have to go that route....
    The only thing stopping me is the cost of the dog and bringing it over to the US. It would be about $2,000. Which is a bit much. But these dogs are worth their weight in gold, so I might just start saving up, suck it up, and do it...
    I would LOVE to get both genders, and be able to breed (since no one else is doing it!). But that is a HUGE chunk of money!

5. Abra

Abra Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I hope you have better luck and I did!
    I have searched for a long time, with no results.
    The only people who have these guys available are in the country of origin (Poland). Also, they are working dogs, which is what I am looking for... I don't want to buy some 'pedigreed' pooch that comes from a line of dogs that has been taught how to be 'show' dog or something. I want a pup from 'working' lines. :)

6. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I'm thinking I may settle for the Karakachan -- also rare, but more common.

7. Abra

Abra Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Wasilla, Alaska
    LOL Go for it. I hear they are amazing dogs too! :)
    I've had the Tatra stuck in my head since I was a little kid... Hard to settle on something else when you have been dreaming about a certain breed since you were knee-high to a grasshopper.... :)