The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We purchased two does early May to get our daughter started in 4-H. I had dairy goats for 10+ years growing up, and first thought the doeling was not as active as I would expect a kid to be. She was born 2/10/19, we brought them home 5/2/19.

Earlier this month, I noticed that the yearling and kid both had pale eyelids. I did a fecal on the kid last month and treated for coccidia. Wormed them both this month and treated for lice. Friday I took the kid in as she had a slight fever, runny nose and was coughing. The vet noticed a substantial heart murmur. We contacted the breeder who offered a replacement which we picked up. At this point- I feel like the yearling’s eyes are getting a little darker, they are more of a bubble gum pink. Her hair is still rough though. I thinking maybe she needs copper? I’ve order replamin also. The kid is still pale, but getting a little pinker and I’ve given about 5 doses of magic cell. I’ll attach pictures. I’m not too sure what to do next.

Also- they have right now onyx minerals, yearling gets 1 c. Sweet feed, kid 1.25 c. Medicated pellets and sweet feed. Horse hay, some alfalfa pellets.

Thanks in advance for reading and advice!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
It does look like the yearling needs copper, I see her fishtail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, any suggestions to help with anemia? The vet said she would probably not live past a year with the murmur. She is so sweet though and I’d hate to lose her!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Just to clarify: anemia and heart murmur are 2 separate issues.

Anemia: once you’ve gotten rid of the cause (usually worms or coccidia, but there are other causes) I’ve heard that you can use a product called Red Cell to help their body have what it needs to produce more red blood cells. You must be careful not to overdose Red Cell. Someone else will have to tell you how to use it.

Heart murmur: I’m so sorry. I had one born with a heart murmur this year. He died at 6 weeks old. He had a particularly bad murmur. A heart murmur is a leaky heart valve. The “hole” in the heart valve allows their blood to back-flow in the heart which has a distinctive swishing sound called a murmur. There’s truly nothing you can do for a heart murmur other than extensive open heart surgery. Anesthesia is particularly dangerous for goats, so even if money is no object, I would not trust the average vet to perform that big of a surgery on a goat. It’s just not worth it.

That said, some murmurs aren’t that bad, and most won’t die quite as young as mine did. Others will die sooner. All you can do is keep them comfortable until they pass. If it’s a pet, give them all the love you can and let them experience a normal goat-y life as long as they are still comfortable. Eventually their leaky heart can’t keep up with their body. They can pass suddenly after some physical exertion, or more slowly like mine did. We had to put him down because he was suffering. You’ll know when it is time.

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You have 3 goats now, right? A yearling with some anemia left, a baby with a heart murmur and some anemia left, and a 2nd baby to replace the one with a heart murmur?

Reactions: Nigerian123

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, we have three. She gave us another yearling who looks healthy.

I’ve been giving magic cell, just wanted to see if anything would be better. The breeder let us keep her as a pet until she goes. I’d never realized it was something to consider. The vet took an X-ray because he was interested in seeing her heart.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
You are giving an excellent mineral mix. I would not switch that. I'd give her a 4 gram copper bolus. I'd also give replamin. I especially like the idea of the Replamin for the one with the heart murmer. Excellent source of ready selenium and other minerals. The Replamin moves out of the system very quickly so there is no problem with combining the copper bolus and the Replamin.

I'd use Red Cell, I know nothing about Magic Cell, I'm afraid I've never even been exposed to it.

I'd also like to suggest a mineral salt block. TSC carries one called Trophy Rock that my goats just love. A quality salt will enable the goats to better utilize the other minerals well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
treating for anemia- an adult dose of red cell is 5ML or CC's -they are the same. So for your young does I'd give 2-3 ML, mix in some probiotics. Administer this 2-3x per day orally. As well you should be giving IM shots of Vitamin B complex. 2.5 ML 2-3 times per day per goat. Keep them confined in a small area so they do not expend energy running around. Also supplement them with alfalfa to help boost them. They usually hate confinement. but this is the best thing you can do for them to help them get recover more quickly. It's important that you treat this aggressively and take it seriously. You can lose your goats if you don't stay on top of it. When they start to get color back in their eyelids, then you can cease treatment. Keep a close watch on them checking weekly, because they can relapse easily.

Treat with replamin weekly as Mariarose suggests also

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello! I know this is almost 2 years later- just thought I'd post an update. Chimichanga is still here and has grown to full size. She is spunky and keeps us entertained. She's had no health problems since I last posted about her. Thanks for all of your advice! :)

IMG_9651.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts