The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning to go dairy. Our present dairy goat is mixed with something small and her petite sizeis kind of appealing (though we are getting less then a quart at each milking), compared to our large Boer doe. So I would like to know more about NigerianDwarfs and any other smaller dairy breed. Please share the positives and negatives.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I have nigerians:) ill help!! Lol

With Nigerians sometimes their udders aren't the biggest but they're small and VERY easy to handle.
They can pack a punch but they're VERY easy to train. My goats know not to go potty in the cars. They know that mommy can do anything & they better listen to me. They also know very good manners. When to get down and stuff like that.
They don't eat as much!(;
They do get sick easier but if you get heavy bodied does, they should do fine:)

With Nigerians there is WAY more to kiddings. You look for eye color, baby color, size, sex, and there's not just the lame one or two! You could get 3 or 4:) and safely!!

I recommend getting a mini nubian. Like 75% nigi and 25% nubian. That way you get the udder of nubian and size of nigerian.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I have heard that Toggenburgs are also smaller, calmer and sweeter than the other standard dairys (...Nubian, Alpine, Mancha ect....). They literally pump out the milk and are a really nice breed to have around. I think Nigerians are great too, especially because you can get more of them for the same amount of feed/space.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts